Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ign1s
Newcomer I

Certification passing score system

Hello all, i would like to ask a question about the passing score system of the CSSLP exam, though i guess the same would apply for every other certification of ISC2. So i was wondering about partially correct questions, that is the questions that could be answered by multiple choices and you get a portion of them right, but fail to correctly answer them all. (e.g question has 5 total possible answers, where 3 of them are legit, but you only choose the 2 of them) How are the answers evaluated in this case? Are they just marked wrong, or do the correct answers picked count positively towards the total score?

19 Replies
Kaity
Community Manager

That's really the depth of my knowledge as far as the exam goes, since I have not sat for one. Others here have, so hopefully they can chime in. 

fgarcialainez
Newcomer III

I don't understand your answer :). I am simply asking a couple of very specific questions about grading and allowed materials in the exam... Please could you take a look and provide an accurate answer.

Thanks and Regards!

Kaity
Community Manager

My answer @fgarcialainez was that I do not know the answer to your question. I have not taken one of our exams and I do not work on the exams themselves, so I do not feel able to provide an accurate answer. I am hoping someone here who has experience taking the exam can help. Our exam policies can be viewed here - https://www.isc2.org/Register-for-Exam - in case that is helpful. 

Best of luck

fgarcialainez
Newcomer III

Well, then please could you check internally and provide us an answer? Basically, many people doesn't have clear is it is required to score a minimum of 700 in all the domains, of in the total exam, and it is not reflected clearly in your policies.

https://www.isc2.org/register-for-exam/exam-scoring-faqs  

The same with dictionary, it is something that you should clarify to candidates, no?

Thanks again!

ChrisMcLendon
ISC2 Former Staff

Hello @fgarcialainez

Examination scoring is still based on scoring at least 700 points out of the 1000 for all examinations. However, for the CISSP it is also required that each domain is graded "above proficiency" in order to pass as well.

For every other certification exam, you do not have to reach "above proficiency" in order to pass. However, if a candidate was not able to pass the certification exam, their handout from the Pearson VUE testing center would tell them how they did on each domain according to the proficiency levels. 

Keep in mind that "above proficiency" does not always mean you answered every question correctly for that domain, but have met the passing standard. 

As well, dictionaries are not permitted into a Pearson VUE testing center for an ISC examination. This is in the "Examination Inquiries" on our FAQ page. I have attached the link here for your review: https://www.isc2.org/Frequently-Asked-Questions

Please let me know if there is other information I can provide to help clarify the examination policies!

AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

@ChrisMcLendon wrote:

Hello @fgarcialainez

Examination scoring is still based on scoring at least 700 points out of the 1000 for all examinations. However, for the CISSP it is also required that each domain is graded "above proficiency" in order to pass as well.

Hi @ChrisMcLendon - just curious to know, is this still the case for non-English language versions of the CISSP? (i.e. Non-CAT versions)

fgarcialainez
Newcomer III

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for your clear and concise answer, I really appreciate it.

Regards,

ChrisMcLendon
ISC2 Former Staff

Hello @AlecTrevelyan, I should have clarified previously but non-English CISSP examinations are graded as the other certification examinations as it is still in the Linear format. The CISSP English version of the examination is the only one of its kind that is graded based on both the 700 points and Proficiencies. Thank you for helping clarify this point!

denbesten
Community Champion

Per the FAQ, It is "adaptive testing" that introduces the "in each domain" requirement.

AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

@denbesten wrote:

Per the FAQ, It is "adaptive testing" that introduces the "in each domain" requirement.

You've changed your tune!

https://community.isc2.org/t5/Certifications/Failed-CCSP-but-I-know-the-content-and-think-I-passed/m...

Good to have it confirmed properly now though Smiley Happy