Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fortean
Contributor III

CTT+ - any opinions?

For many years I have taught both classes and individuals. I'm not a full-time teacher, but have taught classes on cyber crime and digital forensics for the Dutch Police, taught classes on IoT and ISO27K, did some (guest)lectures and presentations on events, academies and my university. I also have been a millers instructor since 2009. I hence teach both practical skills (e.g. working a very dangerous and large machine like a Dutch windmill) and theory.  I have created curricula, of course based on (often at least partially self set) learning objectives, and developed my own materials: books, questionnaires, quizzes etc. I had to, as there are often none available or they don't match the qualities of the pupils. I really enjoy teaching, but, there is always the slightly nagging question: "am I any good at this". The results seem to be good: I've led many pupils towards their exams and an overwhelming majority of them passed on first try. Also, pupils are quite satisfied according to my evaluations.  But I'm a self-taught man, so there's always some doubt.

In such situations, it may help to certify, if only to prove to others objectively that one can really teach.

• I believe that (ISC)² also certifies courses / teachers, but failed to find how the process works.  I am curious if there are any (ISC)² certifications for teachers, so: to objectively measure the quality of a teacher. Any information on this would be most welcome!

• I also have been given the advice to check out CompTIA's CTT+ certification, which seems to be promising: you'll have to do a multiple choice exam to prove that you have essential didactical qualities, then send them a recording of one of your teaching sessions, so they can judge the quality of it. Hower, to be honest, I had never heard of CTT+ before, hence I'm curious about your thoughts, dear community. Is it any good?
  • Have any of you done the CTT+ or a similar certification - and if similar: which one and why?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

--
Heinrich W. Klöpping, MSc CISSP CCSP CIPP/E CTT+
10 Replies
fortean
Contributor III

Forgot to mention: being a SCI involves being obliged to actually train learners and SuSE requires student evaluations to be presented.

--
Heinrich W. Klöpping, MSc CISSP CCSP CIPP/E CTT+