cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kaity
Community Manager

CSSLP Exam To Change

Hello everyone!

The CSSLP exam will be changing on September 15, 2020. We are providing 8 months notice regarding these updates - and anyone who is currently registered for this exam will be getting an email from us directly - but I wanted to share the information here with you right away. 

First, the exam time will change from 4 hours to 3 hours. This is in line with the rest of our English language exams as far as the timing goes. 

Second, some of the domains will be changing - as well as their weights. The red items are changing:

Effective July 2017 - September 14, 2020
# Domains  Weights
1 Secure Software Concepts 13%
2 Secure Software Requirements 14%
3 Secure Software Design 16%
4 Secure Software Implementation / Programming 16%
5 Secure Software Testing 14%
6 Secure Lifecycle Management 10%
7 Software Deployment, Operations and Maintenance 9%
8 Supply Chain and Software Acquisition 8%
    100%

Effective September 15, 2020
# Domains Weights
1 Secure Software Concepts 10%
2 Secure Software Requirements 14%
3 Secure Software Architecture and Design 14%
4 Secure Software Implementation 14%
5 Secure Software Testing 14%
6 Secure Software Lifecycle Management 11%
7 Secure Software Deployment, Operations, Maintenance 12%
8 Secure Software Supply Chain 11%
    100%

We have an
FAQ page up that should answer any questions you may have, but please feel free to post any other questions here if they need answering. Also, this might inform information we add to that page. 

21 Replies
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

As I just did a quick comparison of the current and new ISSAP exam outlines, I thought I'd do one for the CSSLP too seeing as this is my most recently earned ISC2 certification.

The first thing I note is the change in logo! Not sure that was necessary and will look bland like the CISSP logo when embossed on the physical certificates:

csslp-logos.png

Similar to the recent ISSAP changes there are some superficial name changes for some of the CSSLP domains, but in contrast to the ISSAP changes the domains are still all in the same order - changes in weightings are shown in the original post in this thread.

A cursory review of the current and new tasks/subtasks for the CSSLP domains shows there are some changes in these but for the most part they are very similar across the board, showing the update is very much an evolution not a revolution.

In comparison to the two most recently announced exam updates I've paid attention to (which are the CCSP and ISSAP), the CCSP seemed a very superficial update while the ISSAP seems fairly comprehensive, I'd say the CSSLP sits somewhere in between those two in terms of how radical the changes are, and very much closer to the superficial end of the scale.

csjohnng
Community Champion

@Mox 

Agree, I am planning the same and pushing to take the exam before Sept this year.

John
csjohnng
Community Champion

@AlecTrevelyan 

I do agree the number question is significantly reduce.

I have an interesting observation.

The total time for the exam is shorten, but the number of question is even further reduced ( in term of % change).

Hence, the average time allow to answer for each question is longer.

To take before or after the change, to be or not to be, that's an interesting question.

John
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

I commented on the reduction in exam time and number of questions earlier in the thread so my last post was concentrating on differences in the content according to the exam outlines.

If you're currently studying to take the exam, I wouldn't factor in the changes to the length and time allowed into my decision about whether or not to take the current version or hold off until the new one is released, unless you feel you won't be ready to test until close to the new version being released - at which point it would likely make sense to take the shorter test.

Kaity
Community Manager

I like your phrasing there @AlecTrevelyan "evolution, not revolution" - that is right. We've also just released a Domain Refresh document that can be used as a supplement to the exam outline to prepare.

It's online here now - (and on our CSSLP FAQ page)

https://www.isc2.org/-/media/ISC2/Certifications/Domain-Refresh/CSSLP-Domain-Refresh.ashx?la=en&hash...

checho19
Viewer II

checho19
Viewer II

Hi @Kaity,
Do you have links to the latest self study resources and books? the link at https://www.isc2.org/Training/Self-Study-Resources is still pointing to the previous version of the self study material for the CSSLP. Thanks

Kaity
Community Manager

Hello @checho19 - there is no new CBK at this time. The courseware is updated if you do any CSSLP training from us. Also the flashcards will be updated by the end of the date today. 

I hope this helps!

fgarcialainez
Newcomer III

Hi,

No new materials for the new CSSLP certification? I think that would be really useful a new CBK, a new book including practice tests (as in most of the other certifications), etc

Regards,

cyberdude
Newcomer I

Hi Kathy,

Is there any update on the material update for the CSSLP?  Here we are in 1/21 and still no books for the new CSSLP test which changed on 9/20.  I realize the online training courses are up-to-date, but unless I have a company sponsoring me I don't have the $2K required for the course.  Any dates on the calendar as to when the books are expected to be out?

Thank you in advance.