cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kaity
Community Manager

CSSLP Exam To Change

Hello everyone!

The CSSLP exam will be changing on September 15, 2020. We are providing 8 months notice regarding these updates - and anyone who is currently registered for this exam will be getting an email from us directly - but I wanted to share the information here with you right away. 

First, the exam time will change from 4 hours to 3 hours. This is in line with the rest of our English language exams as far as the timing goes. 

Second, some of the domains will be changing - as well as their weights. The red items are changing:

Effective July 2017 - September 14, 2020
# Domains  Weights
1 Secure Software Concepts 13%
2 Secure Software Requirements 14%
3 Secure Software Design 16%
4 Secure Software Implementation / Programming 16%
5 Secure Software Testing 14%
6 Secure Lifecycle Management 10%
7 Software Deployment, Operations and Maintenance 9%
8 Supply Chain and Software Acquisition 8%
    100%

Effective September 15, 2020
# Domains Weights
1 Secure Software Concepts 10%
2 Secure Software Requirements 14%
3 Secure Software Architecture and Design 14%
4 Secure Software Implementation 14%
5 Secure Software Testing 14%
6 Secure Software Lifecycle Management 11%
7 Secure Software Deployment, Operations, Maintenance 12%
8 Secure Software Supply Chain 11%
    100%

We have an
FAQ page up that should answer any questions you may have, but please feel free to post any other questions here if they need answering. Also, this might inform information we add to that page. 

21 Replies
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

Thanks for the info @Kaity!

With the English language version of the CISSP moving from 6 hours to 3 hours, and with the CCSP and now the CSSLP being moved from 4 hours to 3 hours, this seems to show a trend where ISC2 is standardising on 3 hour exams.

I'm just curious to know if there is any truth to the rumours this is due to pressure from Pearson VUE as tying up test taking stations for more than 3 hours costs them money?

fgarcialainez
Newcomer III

Hi,

Are you going to change the self-studying materials like reference book, flash cards, etc?

Regards,
Kaity
Community Manager

Hi @fgarcialainez - our education materials (the ones from (ISC)2) should all be updated on the date of the changeover. 

fgarcialainez
Newcomer III

Ok, thanks for the quick answer. Regards.
Kaity
Community Manager

Hi @AlecTrevelyan! That’s an interesting rumor. Can I ask where you heard that? We’re always trying to address any misinformation that might be out there. I can confirm that our exam time is not determined by Pearson VUE, but rather based on empirical data. 

AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

@Kaity

Thanks for the clarification, Kaity!

I first heard this rumour over a year ago on another forum as a reason why the English version of the CISSP was moved to CAT. Since we haven't seen any other certifications move to CAT some 18 months or so later it was brought up again recently.

Now we've seen both the CCSP and CSSLP exams be reduced down from 4 hours to 3 hours it just got me wondering if there was any truth to the rumour?!

The CCSP decision I could understand as it was 125 questions / 4 hours so was obviously out of step with the other 125 question / 3 hours exams. However, the CSSLP decision I think is interesting as it involves reducing both the time and the number of questions - 175 down to 125 is quite significant especially for a linear exam.

Mox
Newcomer I

Hi

Any idea how big the change is? I have been thinking that CSSLP could be my next certification goal but now little unsure since the exam will get an update on September 15, 2020. Most likely updated textbooks & stuff will appear late 2020 or early 2021.

I know that if I start to read now, I am most likely push the certification before Sep 15 (and with old exam), but if the goal is to learn new things would it be better to just wait and do some other certs? and learn the stuff from new materials? Or should I push other ISC2 cert in the meanwhile (like CISSP concentrations)?

I currently have CISSP and CCSP (with provision).

Kaity
Community Manager

Hello @Mox! We published a blog post (https://blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/2020/01/certified-secure-software-lifecycle-professional-exam-update...) on the changes at the end of January. The ISC2 course will be updated on September 15 🙂

Mox
Newcomer I

Okey, thanks! I decided to push for CSSLP certification next. With luck I am done before Sep 15. Wish me luck 😄