Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CEMyers
Newcomer III

CISSP and CCSP relationship

For those of you that have taken the CISSP and the CCSP exams - what added value do you expect from having both qualifications (I.e. what does CCSP give you that CISSP does not?).  Where others hold CISSP and are considering the CCSP, is their sufficient ROI to support this from a business perspective?

5 Replies
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

CCSP was just something of interest to take, no need to do it really.

I guess it formalizes some of what I know about cloud environments, I learned a couple of new concepts and it does give me an edge whilst arguing for the need to say audit a data center, both from a 'here's some letters, I'd like you to consider me a little more competent' and actually having found some things out.

It feels a little more like a concentration than a standalone certification but given the rapid uptake and the buzziness of cloud, I feel it will be around for a while. Need cloud security person? CCSK as an entry then CCSP as a competent practitioner. Probably useful to combine it with some AWS/Microsoft certifications if you are an employer looking for skills. 

Probably the best thing from me was the other folks on the review seminar, as that tends to be where you find the most things out.

mamane
Newcomer II

Hello

I asked myself the same question: after taking my CISSP, I took a125 questions assessment CCSP test and I scored 84%!

By reviewing the CBK I found many additional knowledge that was not in the CISSP CBK. There are tons of overlap indeed, but there are many specifics to cloud!

A model may be present some risks that are the same in every environment. Some are really specific: multitenancy, virtualization, lack of international regulations, cloud architecture and delivery models, .... I can cite hundreds!

Having CISSP makes CCSP more easy to cover, that's true! But still you will learn a lot and clear the exam!

My 2 cts!

CISSP, CISA, CRISC, ISO27K LA, CMQ/OE, PMP
CEMyers
Newcomer III

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am "between jobs" at present and considering doing CCSP but because of the overlap, I was unconvinced on ROI
mamane
Newcomer II

Hello

Either we like it or not, Cloud is the future! And as usual, technology is nice but it comes with its challenges! One of the challenges is security, from design to operations.

Cost reduction will drive the growth of Cloud based solutions.

I'm sure of the pay off of CCSP!

CISSP, CISA, CRISC, ISO27K LA, CMQ/OE, PMP
chaunce54
Newcomer I

As Mamane said, cloud is the future so I think this is a good cert to have in the repertoire.  It has also been named one of the hottest certificates recently.

I think we will find a trend begin to emerge where enterprise data centers become more "app-centric" and are built more as a private cloud than the traditional data center model.  I think this will also enable more BYOD in the enterprise as well.  I also think we will be moving toward zero trust with micro segmentation in the data center to enhance security, or at least I hope so.