Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slakhotia
Newcomer I

CISSP Passing Criteria and Marking Scheme

Hi,

Can you please confirm that one has to get

1. 70% in each of the 8 domains individually and

2. in aggregate of 70% in total of 8 domains ( obviously getting pass in 1 confirms 2nd also)

is needed for qualifying in CISSP CAT exam? 

Also can somebody clarify how does it work?

a) if somebody gets 70 marks in first 100 questions and qualifies in each of the 8 domains , will he be passed?

b) if he misses to get 70% in one domain, all subsequent questions would be likely to be in that domain to get candidate evaluated?

I have talked with customer care but still not very clear on passing critieria.

thx

4 Replies
SamanthaO_isc2
ISC2 Former Staff

Hello @slakhotia

There are two FAQ's on our website that will help to explain this in more detail for you. Please take a look at the Exam Scoring FAQs and the CISSP CAT Overview

Let us know if you have any further questions. 

Samantha O'Connor
(ISC)² Online Community Manager
slakhotia
Newcomer I

Hi Samantha,

Thx for pointing link. I have seen that earlier and still had doubt on below details. Pl clarify italicized part. 'All domains' means- one has to score 70% individually in each of the 8 domain OR altogether 70% in total of 8 domains.

Just want to be water clear on the requirement.

Q:

What is the passing proficiency level for adaptive testing?

A:
The proficiency is defined here as “passing standard.” Candidates must score above the proficiency level in all Domains in order to pass the exam.

• Below proficiency – below the passing standard
  • Near proficiency – close to the passing standard
  • Above proficiency – above the passing standard
ToniHahn
Contributor I

denbesten
Community Champion

@slakhotia wrote:

Candidates must score above the proficiency level in all Domains in order to pass the exam.

A plain-English reading of that sentence is that "all Domains" is a synonym for "each of the Domains". 

Also, when it comes to CAT exams, there is not a set number of questions.  If you know a topic really well, it will stop asking after just a few questions. The closer you are to 70% on a given topic, the more questions you will see.  I don't know for sure how (ISC)²'s CAT algorithm works, but it is probably something like GMAT's.