cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gerald-victor
Newcomer II

CISSP Exam fee $699 or $825

Hello,

I tried to schedule for my CISSP exam certification via Pearson Vue in India and the amount added to $825 including 18% tax. Is this correct, cos all this while I was told the exam costs $699 and no one till date mentioned about taxes extra. Is this the case for anyone across the world, the taxes are added to the exam cost of $699? Thanks in anticipation

Gerald

8 Replies
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

Not sure about other locations, but here in the UK when you go to book an exam, you are shown the pricing without VAT (sales tax) right up until you go to pay where they add the tax on (which is 20% in the UK).

In the UK, businesses can claim back the VAT from the government so pricing for businesses is always quoted without tax, and with ISC2 certifications I guess there's an assumption it will be businesses paying to put their employees through them hence they don't often mention the price including the tax.

denbesten
Community Champion

The US operates exclusively under a Sales Tax system. The sales tax always appears as a separate line item, is never included in the advertised price and it (almost) always paid by the consumer to the merchant who then forwards it to the government.

Value Added Tax (VAT or GST) is a different beast.  With VAT each manufacturer/distributor/retailer in the supply chain pays the government a tax based on how much they increased the value of the product and then increase the price of the product itself to recoup the cost.   

Sounds to me like you are getting caught between the two systems  -- no tax was collected at the various supply chain stages, so all the tax is visible at the last step, whereas in normal in-country transactions, you just see the higher "retail" price. 

Bouzid
Viewer

I just registered for the exam and it is $699.  There are no taxes added for this educational line item in the US.
Review your steps.  You might have done something wrong.

Gerald-victor
Newcomer II

Thanks Alec. I guess its pretty much the same. In UK you pay as VAT and here its GST. The reason why I brought this up was, I was mentally prepared for a certain cost for the exam, (as its not sponsored by any company) from my pocket and to see an additional amount, almost a fifth of the exam cost, came as a complete shocker. Thanks for your reply. Appreciate it.
Gerald-victor
Newcomer II

Thanks denbesten. I now understand how this works.
Gerald-victor
Newcomer II

Wow thats cool. Did you register from the US or from anywhere else? I used the below URL
https://www.isc2.org/Register-for-Exam
and then had to navigate to my local test center .. I guess it varies geo to geo.. Cheers !
mhgaikwad
Viewer

Hello

I just tried but it shows 18% GST . Please advise. Thanks

Mac

uppdeep
Viewer

Yes you are right .it shows 825 in india as govt extra tax.