Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bayshob
Contributor I

What Strategy did you use to prepare for and eventually pass your CISSP?

What Strategy did you use to prepare for and eventually pass your CISSP? Strategies vary. Which strategy did you use?

32 Replies
ClayBoswell
Reader I

I attended a SANS Bootcamp in 2003 followed by 8 week with a study-buddy. 

Another tactic I used was scheduling the exam so I had a hard deadline.  If I would have waited until I was "fully ready" I may still be waiting.

SDMair
Viewer

I worked in several roles in the industry to build a broad range of experience, then attended a boot camp with the exam on the final day.
Having actual experience is key, in my opinion.
Bayshob
Contributor I

That is a very good strategy.  Thank you

Bayshob
Contributor I

That's true. Experience counts. Lovely strategy

FLee
Viewer II

I found a study partner, a co-worker, and that was key for me.  We purchased the same book to study though we each had other books we referred to.  We assigned ourselves a set of pages to read during the week and then on the weekend we met to do quizzes together and we looked up and discussed anything we didn't get right.  I found a lot of free quizzes on the internet and we used review questions at the end of the books.  It was not easy and I committed to almost a year of study like this, but it was why I believe I now am certified!

dimante
Newcomer I

Had the years of experience.  That is a key component in this.  Then I got the CISSP Study Guide :

https://books.google.com/books/about/CISSP_ISC_2_Certified_Information_System.html?id=swl0CgAAQBAJ&p...

Certain there is a newer one now.  Then studied for a month and took the exam 🙂

Good luck!

Bayshob
Contributor I

Good strategy. Well done

Bayshob
Contributor I

Well done. Good strategy

dimante
Newcomer I

I had no idea what to expect.  I feel that I did spend the right amount of time studying as I finished the 6-hour exam in about 3 hours.