cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fabio_danzetta
Newcomer I

Question about official books for self study and about exam

Good evening,

I was collecting information to evaluate the possibility of undertaking the path towards CISSP certification independently.
Among the resources available for self-training are also your official manuals on Amazon and Wiley.
Someone can tell me if the current versions of these will also be valid for 2022 or is it better to wait for the new ones?
And finally, if it is possible to register for the exam even by studying independently, how many times can I register in a year.

Thank you very much and best wishes for a happy new year.

My best regards.

Fabio Danzetta
10 Replies
JoeNewton
Viewer II

Hi Fabio,

I am on the same path as you. I bought the below book in July 2021, when it was released, so it should be good for at least another 6 months. I don't know if they will release another one then or not, but if it were me I'd buy the book now and aim to pass the exam in the next 6 months before any changes are made. I've made the mistake before of waiting for the next book or the next exam and putting my progress on hold, and then losing the motivation to do it.

It's a very good book, very detailed, but on the flip side very heavy going! The author also has a course on LinkedIn Learning which I would recommend.

Good luck!

Joe

(ISC)2 CISSP Certified Information Systems Security Professional Official Study Guide & Practice Tests Bundle https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1119790026/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_QP34MJCACK3XKFHGQS2Z?_encoding=UTF8...
Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

Yes you can study for the exams without taking a tutor led course.  A number of the people I work with took that route, myself included.  It took about a week's study, although the days were very long.  But if you can focus for 12 - 16 hours a day for a week straight and then take the exam it is possible.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS
AndreaMoore
Community Manager

@fabio_danzetta 

You asked about how many times you can register for the exam in one year. Here is the exam retake policy.

https://www.isc2.org/Frequently-Asked-Questions 

Retake Policy

For each of the CISSP, CAP, CCSP, CSSLP, HCISPP, CISSP-ISSAP, CISSP-ISSEP, CISSP-ISSMP and SSCP certification programs, there are two independent rules that govern exam retake attempts:

Test-free days between retake attempts:

• If you don’t pass the exam on your first attempt, you may retest after 30 test-free days.
  • If you don’t pass the exam on your second attempt, you may retest after 60 test-free days from your most recent exam attempt.
  • If you don’t pass the exam on your third attempt and for all subsequent retakes, you may retest after 90 test-free days from your most recent exam attempt.

Per certification program, at a maximum you may attempt an (ISC)² exam up to 4 times within a 12-month period.

Candidates may pursue multiple certifications simultaneously.

ISC2 Community Manager
fabio_danzetta
Newcomer I

Hi @JoeNewton ,

Thanks for the valuable suggestions I will try to understand how to proceed, and I think you are right when you say that, to wait, you must not lose the right reasons.

Greetings and best wishes for a happy new year!

Fabio Danzetta

fabio_danzetta
Newcomer I

Thanks so much @Steve-Wilme !

fabio_danzetta
Newcomer I

@AndreaMoore 

Thanks for the detailed information but could you tell me if there are new manuals in production for this 2022 or will those made in 2021 be fine too?

Fabio Danzetta

AndreaMoore
Community Manager

Hello @fabio_danzetta,

The book published in 2021 is the most current edition. There is not a more current edition in production at this time. The exam updated in 2021 and usually the exams update on a three year cycle. Updates are also announced well in advance. Therefore, the book you have is a great study tool for your exam you have scheduled in 2022. 

Best wishes on your studying and exam! We are rooting for you!

ISC2 Community Manager
fabio_danzetta
Newcomer I

@AndreaMoore 

Thanks again for the clarifications regarding the study books.

Best regards.

Fabio Danzetta

natasha12
Viewer

Hi -- so will the materials be updated for 2024?  

If I start studying now and want to take the test in June 2024.... I don't want the materials to change for that 2024 exam.

Also, is it the case that all material on the test will be covered somewhere in the official ISC2 study *BOOK* materials.... or, is it possible that there will be content on the exam not covered in the official book?  Meaning we would need to supplement with other ISC2 materials or 3P training etc.

For example,  when taking the CAIA finance exam, you can just use CAIA's official Candidate Body of Knowledge Books.... no need to take any external courses (even though they may help with retention and comprehension, that material was already covered in the CAIA CBoK Books. Thanks