Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical security expert looking for CISSP Certification

I am a senior engineer in a Fortune 500 company. I basically implement low current systems like SCADA, BMS, ACS, CCTV for high-value projects. Currently(last 6 years) I am more focused on the security aspect of low current including physical security like bollards, turnstiles, CCTV, Access Control, Intrusion Detection, explosive detection, x-ray machines, Under Vehicle Inspection Systems.

I have basic networking knowledge for eg:- routing , switching Vlans, etc. and usually implement and design the underlying network infrastructure used by the above systems. I am also responsible for installing and configuring the enterprise-level software on huge server setups that requires role creation and user management.

Am I eligible to appear for the CISSP exam? Is it a good way for me to progress in my career? can it help me migrate closer to the cybersecurity job landscape?

2 Replies
Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: Physical security expert looking for CISSP Certification

Anyone is eligible to take the exam, but if you pass you may not have enough relevant experience to qualify as a CISSP in which case you would need to opt for Associate status.

The experience requirements are set out here: https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/CISSP/experience-requirements

My recommendation is to review the exam outline: https://www.isc2.org/-/media/ISC2/Certifications/Exam-Outlines/CISSP-Exam-Outline-2018-v718.ashx

Take a look at the tasks/subtasks associated with each domain and figure out if you have 5 years of cumulative experience covering at least one task/subtask in at least two of the eight domains.

NB - physical security is no longer its own domain, but of course it is still a fundamental aspect of the CISSP curriculum. Rather than being its own domain, it now features across at least two domains as stated in the current CISSP exam outline:

Domain 5: Identity and Access Management (IAM)

5.1 Control physical and logical access to assets

» Information
» Systems
» Devices
» Facilities

Domain 7: Security Operations

7.15 Implement and manage physical security

» Perimeter security controls
» Internal security controls

So you may already be covered for the experience requirement.

As to your questions about it helping you with your career, it certainly won't hurt!

Highlighted

Re: Physical security expert looking for CISSP Certification

Thank you for your feedback and advice. I will pay good heed to them.