cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chyobo
Newcomer I

Passed CSSLP exam

Hi people,

I passed CSSLP exam, pending endorsement. I'm nertheless surprised that globally there are only 2,452 CSSLPs so far.

I passed CISSP last year but still need 9 more months of experience so I can't get endorsed. Therefore, I decided to try CSSLP. All I can say that it's a long and tough exam and is heavily focused on security issues in software development.

https://www.isc2.org/About/Member-Counts

Best wishes everyone.

25 Replies
fgarcialainez
Newcomer III

Thank you very much for the quick answer! May be the exam has been updated recently, I don't know...

BTW, is it allowed to use English to other language dictionary for non-native English speakers during the exam?

Regards,

AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

@fgarcialainez wrote:

BTW, is it allowed to use English to other language dictionary for non-native English speakers during the exam?

I suspect probably not based on this post:

https://community.isc2.org/t5/Certifications/Disadvantage-non-native-speakers/m-p/18028#M3600

Maybe you could contact ISC2 and ask for some accommodations?

https://www.isc2.org/Register-for-Exam#accordion-78a95bb8d8df48bf89fa184980d901fd

fgarcialainez
Newcomer III

Again, thanks for your quick answer! I will try to ask them directly about English dictionary.

As for the exam scoring, could you tell me how are evaluated each one of the domains? I mean, if you got something like the scoring per domain commented in the following message.

https://community.isc2.org/t5/Member-Support/Not-too-happy-with-CSSLP-Exam/m-p/26634/highlight/true#...

Basically, my question is if it is required to get more than 700 in each domain separately, or is enough to get 700 as the total exam scoring.

Regards,

AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

@fgarcialainez wrote:

As for the exam scoring, could you tell me how are evaluated each one of the domains? I mean, if you got something like the scoring per domain commented in the following message.

https://community.isc2.org/t5/Member-Support/Not-too-happy-with-CSSLP-Exam/m-p/26634/highlight/true#...

Basically, my question is if it is required to get more than 700 in each domain separately, or is enough to get 700 as the total exam scoring.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer for sure.

What I will say is that for the CAT version of the CISSP it is explicitly stated you need to be above proficiency in all domains. While for linear exams like the CSSLP all that is explicitly stated is you need a scaled score of at least 700 out of 1000 (I know it's not fully correct to call this 70% but for the purposes of the rest of this post I will!).

From that I believe you don't need to be above proficiency in all domains.

To use the post you were trying to link as an example of my theory, he was above proficiency in 6 out of 8 domains and below proficiency in the other 2. There are 3 different ratings btw: Above, Near and Below. (So he did quite badly in 2 of the domains.)

Let's say he scored 75% in 6 domains but only 50% in the other 2 that would leave him with an overall score of 69% so would be a fail.

Had he scored 80% in 6 domains and 50% in the other 2 that would leave him with with an overall score of 77% so would have been a pass.

I think the lesson there is if you have weak domains you better be sure you're very strong in the others to compensate.

fgarcialainez
Newcomer III

Hi,

I think exactly the same than you, but that post makes me doubt about this.

In your case, didn't you get this kind of partial scoring for each domain in the CSSLP scoring report? I know that you passed the exam, but may be you were under the minimum proficiency level in some domain...

Regards,

AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

You only get told your proficiency levels if you fail.

If you pass you just get told congratulations!

fgarcialainez
Newcomer III

Ok :). Again, thank you very much for your quick answers.

Regards,

nirupam
Viewer

kudos alec on this and all the other impressive list of certifications you have!

msaraswate
Newcomer I

Congratulation @chyobo !! 

sandpa
Newcomer I

I passed the CSSLP earlier today.  I don't think you can take anything other than your ID, the key to the locker that holds your personal belongings and a pen/sheet for note-taking. But a dictionary is probably not going to be allowed. You might want to call ahead and specifically ask.

As for scoring, I don't believe CSSLP employs the domain specific scoring. The poster on the other thread misconstrued the proficiency levels sheet he got after failing. It is just to inform you how you are doing in individual domains so you can tailor your prep for your next attempt. He/she probably scored quite low on the domains they were showing "Below" and that contributed to a less than 70% score.