Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lamont29
Community Champion

Love Negative People at a Distance...

The one advice I would give test-takers is to drop the self-defeating attitude. Some of the people who have failed this test, and I can tell, went to sit for the CISSP and defeated themselves. You get a few frustrating questions, then become mentally wrecked based on some questions that very well could be experimental questions. But this initial experience causes some people to get down on themselves through the test. Such individuals go to thinking negative throughout the exam process; they cease using their critical thinking skills; and they start hoping for a miracle.

Remember, if the question seems so far out in ‘left field’ to you as an experienced professional who has studied adequately enough, that question is MOST LIKELY experimental and won’t be counted for or against you – so keep your head up and keep going. Don’t spend too much time on questions that you don’t know… it’s not likely that you are going to magically become any smarter than you came in the door for the exam in the first place. KEEP IT MOVING!

For those who say that the CAT test is ‘easier now,’ remember, the 250-question linear test allows one to GO BACK and revisit a question, unlike the CAT format. I saw questions that led me to the correct answer or solidified my confidence in a previous question. The difference is that on the CAT test, you cannot go back and correct a question.

Stop trying to water down the success of others while trying to validate your own failure. I have a lot more patience and respect for a person who may have failed the test but went right back to work on it. I am dying to offer my help and guidance to these candidates. Those of you who have had success on the CISSP, then I’d like to offer my sincere congratulations to you all! Those who are still blazing the trail, I am here for you.

However, those who seem to have come here to rain on the parades of others – please go away! I am looking forward to the challenge of the ISSEP myself. I am not looking for shortcuts, but if there are certified ISSEP professionals out there who may have some guidance for me, then I’d love to hear about it.

The best advice I can offer to anyone on this forum though is to stay away from negative people. You don’t have to hate them, but you’d definitely have to learn how to ‘love them from a distance’ of perhaps greater than 10 miles!

Lamont Robertson
M.S., M.A., CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, CDPSE, MCSE
18 Replies
Baechle
Advocate I

Lamont,

Some good thoughts.

In my experience with the ISSEP, you need to memorize considerably more legal and regulatory sources, and apply those requirements in design scenarios. 

I'm not exactly a fan of memorization for the sake of memorization; but this activity actually mirrors real life working in Government Cyber.  In nearly every situation where I offered a suggestion, I was asked to defend it by citing regulation often on the spot during a meeting.

It's been many years since I took the ISSEP exam, but my memory was that it was very heavy on mapping regulatory citations to the scenarios that were being presented.

Hope that helps!

Lamont29
Community Champion

Well that sounds like great advice! I really appreciate your prompt response!
Lamont Robertson
j_M007
Community Champion

Thanks for the kind and positive words of encouragement Mr, Robertson. I think it boils down to, "If you don't succeed, take your lumps and get back in the game."

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., whom we will remember next Wednesday, April 4, 2018, said "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." He was a man who stood up for family, friends and so many other people in the USA and abroad. Like many other leaders and people of faith, he was taken; but he continues to inspire us.

Failing hurts, but giving up hurts more.
CathyCurry
Newcomer I

really good thoughts unfortunately being negative and feeling stressed from outside influences or internalizing can impact your results as well.  One of the reason's I'm waiting to have a better mind set to read my results.  I know what isn't on there but that doesn't mean I passed 🙂

Sec007
Newcomer I

Thank you for your perspective! I agree 110%. Is it a difficult test? Yes!! ISC2 wants the best representing their brand. When I started studying for the exam I felt overwhelmed, but at no point in time did I doubt myself or ability. I treated studying like a part time job. 2 - 3 hours a night. There’s nothing wrong with the test. Critics should look in the mirror. I’m unapologetic for passing the test. For those that have failed and 1st timers, humble yourself, read/dissect the questions and think like a manager.
Lamont29
Community Champion

@CathyCurrywrote:

really good thoughts unfortunately being negative and feeling stressed from outside influences or internalizing can impact your results as well.  One of the reason's I'm waiting to have a better mind set to read my results.  I know what isn't on there but that doesn't mean I passed 🙂

I think that that's a great idea Cathy. You seem to know what works for you and how you can best proceed. That's the best way to tackle difficult situations, and everyone's different. I am wishing you the very best in your endeavors. If there's anything that you might need, please just reply.

Lamont Robertson
j_M007
Community Champion

“For those that have failed and 1st timers, humble yourself, read/dissect the questions and think like a manager. ” Very, very true; and very well put.

Is it possible that some who are having extreme difficulty in the exam are believing this is some multiple-guess situation?

Someone who once failed the test told me that: 1) They didn’t get enough sleep. 2) They read one of the books once; but didn’t remember which one. 3) Had no mastery of the specific terminology. 4) Did not adhere to a training regimen. 5) Didn't know about the NIST special publication series. 6) Had not read the details about the certification.

Well, gee. I am surprised they even did as well as they claimed they did.

The Code of Ethics Canons are clear:

1) Protect society, the common good, necessary public trust and confidence, and the infrastructure. (HOW IS NOT THOROUGHLY PREPARING FOR THIS EXAM LIVING UP TO THIS CANON?)

2) Act honorably, honestly, justly, responsibly, and legally. (IS NOT ACTING WITH DUE CARE AND DUE DILIGENCE COMPLYING WITH THIS CANON?)

3) Provide diligent and competent service to principles. (AN INTERESTING AND EXCELLENT WORD CHOICE. THE (ISC)2 “PRINCIPLES” ARE SPELLED OUT IN CANON 1. HOWEVER, THE CONNOTATION IS ALSO TO SERVE “PRINCIPALS”—STAKEHOLDERS IN THE SYSTEM DEVELOPMENT LIFECYCLE WITH RESPECT TO INFORMATION SECURITY WHO ARE RESPONSIBLE, CONSULTED, ACCOUNTABLE, INFORMED. NOT THOROUGHLY PREPARING FOR THE EXAM SEEMS NOT TO RESPECT THIS CANON.)

4) Advance and protect the profession.
(HOW CAN A CANDIDATE WHO HAS NOT PREPARED TO THE BEST OF HIS ABILITY FOR THE ENTRANCE EXAM EXPECT TO COMPLY WITH THIS CANON?)

Those who have passed the exam, did their homework. Thos who tried and failed; but then tried, tried again and succeeded have admirably lived up to the canons in my view. Those who are diligently preparing for their day—however it goes—are also complying with the canons. On the other hand, those who look to blame anyone other than themselves for their achievements need to grow up and be mature.
mgoblue93
Contributor I

I’m unapologetic for passing the test. 

Nor should you be.  Be proud of your accomplishment.  

It's just that the OP often labels any opinions that are contrary to his as "being negative".

I have yet to see ONE instance in here were someone was negative towards someone else who is struggling with test prep or who didn't pass the test.  NOT ONE!

Suraya
Newcomer II

Hello Lemont29

I stopped at your post. Frankly, I get impressed by it.

I have failed on my CISSP 4 days ago and am so down but I have the challenge to do the exam soon again, I need the recommendation.

About myself, I don't have work experience in INFOSEC but I postgraduate from network and system security analyst. 

4 months and I am focused on the materials,  I solved a lot of questions but by the end doesn't help me to pass.

I need to pass this exam. please give me steps to success. 

Thank you