Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shutzi25
Newcomer I

ISSEP

Hi All - I recently failed the ISSEP exam (an expensive practice exam). I am new to DoD space but have worked in CIP space for years. I tried to read through NIST 800-160 and found that a tough read. I was familiar with every term on the exam but just didn't pass. I guess you may wonder what I am asking for here... I think some words of encouragement or tips. 

9 Replies
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

There's a great post here which will give you some additional resources to study for the ISSEP:

https://community.isc2.org/t5/Certifications/New-ISSEP-Official-Guide-and-or-training-for-the-March-...

At least two members from here (including me) used the list in that post to successfully pass the ISSEP fairly recently. A lot of them are NIST references, and, yes, they can be a tough read, but all the information you need to pass this exam is there.

Not sure, if this going to encourage you but it will hopefully inspire you... The ISSEP is the most exclusive of ISC2's certifications that aren't regionally focused, so it's very worthwhile persevering with so you can join the club!

Also some words of consolation... I heard from someone apparently in the know that only 30% of ISSEP exams result in a pass, so you're certainly not alone in not passing.

Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

It's just a temporary set back, as most things others label 'failures' are.  You reflect on what was difficult and were you could improve, go back, re-study and take it again.  Don't be too hard on yourself I doubt it's an easy exam.  

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS
AppDefects
Community Champion

Systems Security Engineering is a discipline and NOT just a part of the certification title. It is an engineering mindset. Live and breath it every day and you will succeed.

shutzi25
Newcomer I

Thank you kindly

JakeRHill
Newcomer I

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't pass! I'm studying for the ISSEP exam right now (Exam is scheduled for next Tuesday). From what I'm reading, I'll have to ensure that I'm very familiar with the many NIST references as well.

I have been supporting DoD acquisition programs and DIACAP and RMF for several years. I'm hoping that my experience will help me pass!

JakeRHill
Newcomer I

*** Removing duplicate post ***

JakeRHill
Newcomer I

Thankfully I passed!! This would have been a very tough exam if it wasn't for my past experience doing system security engineering.

AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

Congratulations and welcome to the club!

shutzi25
Newcomer I

Congrats! Hopefully with soaktime in the DoD space I will be prepared for next attempt.