cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sonny_2
Newcomer II

ISSAP Cert Study

Hello Guys,

I am in the middle of studying for the above cert. If there are others doing the same. how are you getting on ? I have the 2nd Ed book. The new Outline does not exactly map onto the book. what are doing or what resources are you using to bridge that knowledge gap ? Thanks in Advance. For me what I have done to so far is to look at the new sybex book. Need something in depth without reading a whole book for one topic area.

Regards  

10 Replies
DWayland
Newcomer II

I utilized the following:

• 2nd Edition ISC2 ISSAP book
    • Read all online documents referenced in the chapter bibliographies
  • Read all online documents in the ISC2 CBK Suggested References for ISSAP
  • Shon Harris CISSP book (to cover overall topics)
  • The exam outline:
    • I searched for NIST papers and white papers for each of the sections and read them
  • iPhone study question apps - as a way to gauge understanding in the last few weeks
  • Downloaded and read the Jake Eliasz CISSP-ISSAP Loose Notes
  • Downloaded and read the Sunflower CISSP Study Guide
Sonny_2
Newcomer II

Thanks for this. I was thinking of reading NIST 144.145,146 and 34. Look at the Mindmap and read the Jake Eliasz CISSP-ISSAP Loose Notes. There is also the Sybex and Sari Greene videos to review.  By the way have you passed ?

DWayland
Newcomer II

I provisionally passed the exam and I am waiting for the endorsement process to complete.

I took the exam July 2018.

Sonny_2
Newcomer II

Absolutely brilliant news. I needed to hear that from someone that has just passed. Thanks for you advise. By the way congratulations. In terms of time scale what are we looking at here. I know I wasted tonnes of time on my CISSP. Don't want to do that again. Once more congratulations on your result.

DWayland
Newcomer II

Thanks for the congratulations.

I spent about 2 months studying about 2 hours a day.

I found that reading the NIST documents and white papers gave me exposure to things that helped broaden my knowledge.

In the end, having a solid basis in CISSP knowledge was the most helpful.

The CISSP is "a mile wide and an inch deep".  I liken the ISSAP to 1/2 a mile wide and several feet deep.

You definitely need that deeper understanding.

Sonny_2
Newcomer II

Thanks so much for you candid insight and prompt response. I appreciate you. Looks like there is a lot of work ahead of mine. Thank you. I will hopefully post a good news here in due course. Here goes nothing 🙂

Sonny_2
Newcomer II

One last thing. Did you use a practice test ? If so which one ? Thanks in Advance

DWayland
Newcomer II

I used the ISSAP iPhone app.

Sonny_2
Newcomer II

Got you. Thanks once again for your time