Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
almachius
Viewer

ISC CERTIFICATION

Helloo friends.....I would like to pursue some cyber security courses...but not equiped with enough funds to pay for one of them,,, do ISC have free courses for security?????? or can i apply for a free course from them???thanks waiting for your sincere response

2 Replies
AppDefects
Community Champion

Here's a snippet from a recent (ISC)2 announcement:

"In order to help the cybersecurity community and to make continuing professional education (CPE) credits more easily accessible, (ISC)² is offering free access for all to its recently released Utilizing Big Data course. For a limited time, the association is also offering an All-Access Pass to its entire PDI library of 35 courses (valued at $10,420) for just $649, valid for one year. Learners can also choose an Express Learning Bundle package (valued at $3,400) for $324 or can access single courses at discounts as high as 60% off."

"(ISC)² also offers a free, award-winning webinar series featuring expert-led discussions on a wide range of security topics, and continually adds online content to expand this rich source of learning opportunities to help cybersecurity professionals"

CraginS
Defender I

@almachius wrote:

Helloo friends.....I would like to pursue some cyber security courses...but not equiped with enough funds to pay for one of them,,, do ISC have free courses for security?????? or can i apply for a free course from them???thanks waiting for your sincere response

Almachius,

Congratulations on your decision to seek cybersecurity knowledge. It is quite possible to learn quite a bit using low cost self-study resources. However, for members of this forum to give meaningful advice, you can help us by letting us know about your current professional knowledge and background. What is your approximate age (within a decade is OK)? What is your current position and abbreviated work experience? What level and area of formal education have you completed?

It will help you to understand that cybersecurity is not really a single area. It is a combination of a number of specialties that all contribute to protecting information. 

To get started, I highly recommend you skim through Ross Anderson's Security Engineering book to get a feel for the range to topics that make up our profession. The entire book, both 1st and 2nd editions, is available for free download chapter by chapter at the linked site, as well as his in-progress 3rd addition. Focus in the 3rd edition draft and look at selected 2nd edition chapters if you wish to compare the 12-year old information to current. At this stage you should not need to study it deeply, just get a feel for the range f topics. At some point, if you are serious about learning the profession, then yes, read and study the entire book.

Also, I suggest you read Clifford Stoll's The Cuckoo's Egg. That book is an entertaining easy read, available in low cost paperback, and gives you an excellent historical foundation in the early aspects of the field.

Good luck, and we look forward to learning a bit more about you so members here can provide more halo.

Regards,

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts