Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seaside
Newcomer I

Failed CISSP - big time disappointment

I read many posts from people who failed the new CISSP adaptive exam. I myself failed it on 3/5/18.  I expected to do 250 questions but I was very shocked that I got knocked out after 99/100 questions.  I asked the proctor whether I was given the wrong exam. The proctor explained to me that because it is an adaptive exam the so it stopped because I didn't answer a certain number of questions correctly; I was absolutely horrified what I experienced.  I could not sleep all night after the exam day, I've been studying for it for over 3 months and I scored between 77% - 85% of dozens of practice tests of over 3,000 questions.  I went beyond by reading front to back cover of the Sybex - 7th Edition book and I completed all the chapter tests as well as all of the online practice tests that Sybex offered me and I did well. In addition I also went through all of Cybrary training videos, figuring that with all that studying I was well prepared to take the exam.  Not to mention that I have a master degree in IT and in Information Assurance field with the company for over 9 years.

I find the adaptive exam questions and answers are so abstract that I feel my English comprehension isn't good enough for it. I have reached out to ISC2 for their support and advice. I am so sad and disappointed that I am not sure if I ever want to take any test in the adaptive format. 

111 Replies
canLG0501
Newcomer III

My advice is not to give up because you have already invested so much time and energy.  It is best to focus on older material sometimes because those text have more foundational material and theory.  If you grab hold of the theory behind the objectives you won't be upset.  You will ace it the next time.

Lamont29
Community Champion

I feel for your disappointment in not passing this exam. But I sincerely think that you are being way too hard on yourself. If you took this test on March 5, 2018 then I'm miffed as to why you did not know that your CISSP exam was going to be in the CAT format.

You have to be honest with yourself and know that you probably did not prepare for this test as much as you could have or should have. Don't be dismayed at (ISC)², as they have put out and posted the information in enough time for anyone taking this exam to prepare. I also studied for the linear version, but I was made aware of the changes. However, if you were primed to pass the 250 question linear exam, then I don't see any reason why you would not have been also prepared to pass the CAT format of the exam.

Just prepare to take it again. If you need assistance, just contact me and I can assist you. But by no means do you fail an exam and blame it on the exam that you failed. 

See you on the other side of this CISSP journey!

Lamont Robertson
M.S., M.A., CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, CDPSE, MCSE
mouandaguy
Newcomer III

Don't give up please, keep going
Nefand
Viewer II

To echo the others, don't give up.

Baechle
Advocate I

@seaside - Is there no test available in your native language or a language you understand more easily?

GlennA
Newcomer I

Sorry ti hear about the not pass., Ok doesn’t mean you didnt know the material. I think ISC2 needs to make this test more subjective then objective, ask a scenario based question with resources to extract from. The certification should be more project based like Lean Six Sigms a subjective exam, series of projects , research, etc then submission for grading by an ISC2 panel. In the real world, you dont get four choices.

Anyway, how many months did you study for?
Lamont29
Community Champion

@GlennAwrote:
"The certification should be more project based like Lean Six Sigms a subjective exam, series of projects , research, etc then submission for grading by an ISC2 panel. In the real world, you dont get four choices."

You should consider taking the project management exam if you believe that it should be a 'project based' exam. And in the 'real world' one may find themselves having not 4, not 5, not six (my inner LeBron James) but a litany of choices. There are 'easier' exams out there to be had, one might consider those if one is absolutely perplexed. But as a certified professional, I have NO interest in this exam becoming another Lean Six Sigma, or Project Management exam. Getting back to my point - "Why Bother?"

Lamont Robertson
Icebergstin
Viewer II

I totally agree with you regarding the english of the exam. It felt like a Greek English philosopher wrote the questions. That was half the battle for me. I like the adaptive approach, but the wording of the questions were very bizarre.
d46j48fx
Contributor I

The operative word being Philosopher 🤣
I believe one of the purposes of the questions being written the way they are is to cause you to THINK! In real world situations, the questions a professional CISSP will be asked on the job are not neatly packaged in grade school English and sometimes, frequently, you will have to dig down to get to the root of the question and maybe ask more questions to assist you in answering. I personally found the questions challenging in a positive way because they caused me to think rather than rely on rote learning. It also helped immensely that I spent 60% of my study time answering practice questions. #cccurefanforlife
Lamont29
Community Champion

The reason why multiple sources are good is because you get the same questions and scenarios worded differently. I found the ISC2's Flash cards to be quite helpful in that they got me to answer those open-ended questions in a variety of different ways. Once I sat for the test, I felt invincible. You will perhaps have to go through 700-1000 of them (depending on your experience). But by the end of it all, you will be bubbling over with confidence.

Lamont Robertson