cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lamont29
Community Champion

Calibrate Your Priorities...

Okay, let me get right to it…

When I hire a professional, my expectations are that that person will prove to be the professional that I hired. I did not intend to hire a student or intern whom, if they spent considerable time at the office studying for a certification that that would be a good thing. I hire the professional to attend to the priorities that I hired you for. While it’s great that you’re interested in learning, your priority should be those items that must get done each day – it’s why I hired you in the first place. Because if you told me that you’re going to make your priority building up your list of certifications, I would have just hired someone else.

Lamont Robertson
M.S., M.A., CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, CDPSE, MCSE
3 Replies
dreastans
Newcomer III

All of my studying for different certifications was completed off the job, in my own time.  I chose to take those certifications and know that my job description doesn't include studying.  If said person has that much time at work it makes me wonder if they're doing anything productive.  Believe me, CISSP study isn't something you want to traditionally spend an additional 20 hours of study a week on top of your work.  But if you intend to be a professional, do your job during work time and progress your certifications on your own time unless your boss specifically states that you can set aside time for study.

---
Andrea Stansbury- CISSP
Kuwechue
Viewer

Hi Lamont,I see you have alot of experience. Would you recommend CAP over security plus.

Lamont29
Community Champion

Hi there. And thank you for your inquiry. I'd go to the DoD 8570 chart for
reference and career tracking. Certification tracks are largely given your
professional preferences. I always recommend SSCP or Security+ to get an
individual on the road to their security careers. Either way, you'll cover
some very valuable topics that will lead you in the right direction towards
some of the higher-level certifications.

--
Lamont Robertson
M.A., M.S., CISSP, CEH, CISA, CISM, MCSE
Lamont Robertson
M.S., M.A., CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, CDPSE, MCSE