cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ioannism
Viewer III

Planning on course and certification ISSAP

Hello

I already have the CISSP and the CCSP certs.

I want to go for the ISSAP this year.

I am considering to buy the self paced course from ISC2: https://enroll.isc2.org/product?catalog=ISSAP-SPT-GLOBAL-2018

My employer covers only exam fees. Never course or membership fees. So $2K will be going out of my purse.

I am looking for your opinions on this course. Has anybody taken it? Was it helpful to pass the ISSAP exam? Did it help you learn new things regarding security architecture?

Also what about the old CBK for ISSAP. I have read some bad reviews that make me hesitant to invest time and money in this book. Does it worth studying now?

Thank you for your replies.

5 Replies
QuisUtDeus
Newcomer I

YMMV, but if I were you, I would review the CISSP content, go through the ISSAP CBK and amalgamate it by going thorugh the Sunflower doc multiple times. Just an anecdote - 2 weeks ago I provisionally passed the ISSAP exam after one day of preparation (I had to do that quickly, so I pushed myself a little).

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

A tall order, but a good philsophy and proven approach.

Regards

Caute_cautim

ed_williams
Newcomer II

Wish you best of luck with it
Cousy14
Newcomer II

I want to take the ISSAP at some point as well, let us know what preparation approach worked for you once you pass!
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@Cousy14My personal advice, is go back and ensure you know your CISSP material back to front - this is very good preparation for the additional workload.

2)  If you have the opportunity, get on board with an online study group - if you can afford it, the collaboration, additional material provided during the ISC2 preparation was excellent, with recordings taken, so you could go back over the material even in the background - preparing your mind.   This is an investment, but if you want to speed up the process, this is an excellent way to do it.

3) Look up the ISSAP CBK, i.e. https://www.amazon.com/Official-ISC-Guide-ISSAP-Press/dp/1466579005

This gives you an excellent guide and reference to ensure you are on track with your study and self development.

4) This is my personal - look around, for a good Exam Prep or Testking - to keep challenging yourself, getting your mind agile and flexible enough to deal with the type of questions and scenario's you will face.   Again this is an electronic or digital outlay, but it is also good to test yourself and assess whether you have missing gaps, or need to concentrate on particular areas.

5)  Collaborate within the ISC2 Community - ask questions, challenge other people - this was not around when I did my ISSAP study, but it certainly would have assisted, when I needed to take a wide perspective and seek guidance.

6)  Look up the additional reading suggestions and recommendations, and if you can find them absorb them and the messaging they are conveying.

I am sure, others have some other tips to share?

Regards

Caute_cautim