cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Prashanth
Newcomer I

CISSP exam failed today | 07-Oct-2017

Hi All,

I took my CISSP exam today and failed with very bad score 460/1000. I have Started Studying from last December 2016 and took exam today (07-Oct-2017) but failed. 

Below are the study materials I have used and all the practices questions I worked out in understanding of each questions however I have failed with very bad score.

1) CISSP CBK 4th Edition Official Book.

2) CISSP Sybex 7th Edition.

3) CISSP Sybes Official Practice Questions book and Application (Both Same Question Bank).

4) Cybrary CISSP Online training Videos.

5) CISSP Sybex Online Practice Questions.

6) CISSP Boson Practice Questions.

7) CISSP 60 Seconds YouTube Practice Questions.

😎 Syngress cissp practice tests

I am writing this blog to know where I went wrong and wanted to know which study material I need use.

Even if I take any fresh practice questions likes in GoCertify and Skillset, I would be getting more than 85% score.

Planning to retake probably in Jan / Feb.

Thank You...

Best Regards

Prashanth M

49 Replies
AZSecOps
Viewer II

Glad you’re sticking to it and retaking. It took me almost 9 months to study up. It would have taken me less time, had I simply stuck with my Shon Harris and 11th Hour books. Almost all practice tests were far more in the weeds, then the actual exam and did more to shake my confidence than helped.  I’d recommend picking a couple of high rated books and exams and forgetting about the others. It’s been mentioned already, but explaining things to someone or doing so in your mind helps.  The biggest challenge for me was remembering not to answer technically!  This is more a management theory exam and not a technician one. Think as a manager should and look at the big picture. As a technician, I always wanted to answer technicaly.  This is where a ton of those practice exams go wrong. They are far too in the weeds. 

gsimmons
Viewer

Prashanth M,

Sorry to hear that you failed, but I'm sure that you will make a come back on your next attempt.  I have found that knowing the answers to the test prep questions is great; however, it gives a false sense of security.  Make sure that you understand why you've gotten the question correct, understand the concepts.  If you understand the concepts, then no matter what question that is thrown your way you should be fine.

Are you a good test taker?  Some people are not and no matter how many times they've taken the test, they just cannot pass it.  What are your test taking strategies?  There are plenty of guides and books out there on test taking techniques and perhaps you should consider glancing at one of those.  Here are some of mine:

1)  I read through the first 3 or 4 questions without answering them eventhough I may know the answer.  For me, this helps my mind warm.

2)  I read the answers to the questions from the bottom (usually letter "D") to the top (letter "A").  This keeps me from selecting what I believe to be the answer without reading the remainder of the answers.

Good luck!!!!

Rjohnson68
Viewer III

You have several great answers above.

One thing I found when taking the exam, the questions can often have two correct answers. One, being a technical answer, the other a managerial answer. Both are correct depending on the mindset you take. The key to these questions is remembering you are taking a Management level exam, so selecting the technical answers is not what they are asking for. Also remember Management answers will also be slightly broader and the technical answer would be a step within or in the course of accomplishing the management answer.
Olivosomar
Viewer II

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you fail. Just a couple of questions:

* How many hours a day/ a week do you study?

* Do you have a study plan? 

* How much experience do you have in info sec?

Omar

Trans1
Newcomer I

Prashanth, at exam time you have to take your time and read questions couple of times.

Materials you had used are fine.

What I found useful: gaining 100% on Skillset.com than cople of months of CCCure incresing in difficulty quizzes.

Prashanth
Newcomer I

Thank You...

Your replies are booting me more & not to give-up.

Prashanth
Newcomer I

hi,

*I was studying everyday 2-3 hours and weekends more than 6 hours.

* Study plan was as below

1)         CBK 4th Edition Official Book

2)         Sybex 7th Edition Book

3)         Sybex online practice

4)         Sybex Official Practice Question bank and app also took.

5)         Sometimes I was watching Cybrary CISSP videos and Skillset.

6)         Later I had time and found good free recourse 60 Seconds CISSP question in YouTube and syngress cissp 2 set practice tests.

I have completed all & revised again and took a notes on my book, this notes I used three before days of my exam.

I have 9+ years of experiences in Information Security (Experienced in SOC and GSOC for SIEM, WAF, Vulnerability MGMT, FIM, DDoS, Database Security, Endpoint Security AV, DLP.)

My experience in real-time exam all practice question helped me 0%.

Prashanth
Newcomer I

Thank You...

Prashanth
Newcomer I

Thank You...

Prashanth
Newcomer I

Thanks for your reply...

Yeah I read my result page top is most weakest domain displayed in top to down.