cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arshad
Newcomer I

CISSP Study Path

Hi,

I am a CCIE and when i was doing my CCIE with Cisco they have proper path like first i have to do (CCNA then CCNP then go to CCIE and then the LAB exam) 

But when i am trying to search the same to reach till CISSP i cannot get any path.

Can anyone guide me what is the STEP 1 like (CCNA) then STEP 2 like (CCNP) then STEP 3 like (CCIE) 

Please guide the same.

Regards

Arshad

9 Replies
sergeling
Contributor I

It doesn't work that way since the certifications offered by (ISC)2 have different focus.

I'd say the only "path" similar to what you have in mind is STEP 1 get CISSP, then STEP2 get the specific concentration, such as ISSAP, ISSEP, or ISSMP.

Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

There are other qualifications that you could take before the CISSP.  You might take the compTIA exams for example or the SSCP.  But for the most part ISC2 exams are standalone, with the exception of the CISSP concentrations.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

Which makes complete sense as ISC2 certifications are not vendor skills/knowledge focused practical tasks with very definite skills/task based confirmation. It just wouldn’t make sense IMHO to add required pre-requisite certifications(though there are good options to have degrees in lieu of experience).
Arshad
Newcomer I

It do not make sense to me you are saying to read a blank book which has no chapters an attempt the test and check your knowledge this is not possible.

We all should know what we have to read and understand an then attempt so there should be contain given.
Arshad
Newcomer I

Again this do not make sense to me are you saying me to do ISC2 certification but you go and read for comptia exam an then attempt ISC2 cert 🙂

Trust me this do not make sense
Arshad
Newcomer I

Again after reading your comment i am feeling to read blank books which has nothing and attempt the exam test 🙂

I have no path because its skills/knowledge focused but no what no one knows 🙂

This is really bad.

Lets say i am a fresher in ISC2 now what should be my first step to read.
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

I’m sorry the comments don’t make sense to you, it’s just that the CISSP is a mid career certification for InfoSec folk, I think if you’re looking at the domains, books and courses and your coming up blank it’s probably best to not go for it(It’s unlike vendor certifications), and short of the suggestion of Security+, SSCP or maybe CompTIA’s CASP I don’t think there’s many certifications I’d recommend. If you’ve got the working experience then the domains and their content should just fall into place nicely(I can’t see anyone with five years in focused in InfoSec not recognising it all and feeling reasonably comfortable) , and if you don’t have the knowledge and experience best to wait until you do. It’s completely possible to pass the exam without the requisite experience for certification, just with book reading, but unless you’ve got decent knowledge, good reading comprehension and are relaxed, you will find it pretty difficult.

I’d recommend you start with the exam outline, and look at the domains:

https://www.isc2.org/-/media/ISC2/Certifications/Exam-Outlines/CISSP-Exam-Outline-121417--Final.ashx

If after reading you want to do it get the CBK and also Security Engineering by Ross Anderson (It’s the best one) https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/book.html . After that maybe look for cheap free online courses, or take a review seminar.

If you’re unsure that you have the knowledge or you are focused on operation of tools, routers, firewalls etc I’d recommend waiting, asking your colleagues who are certified and then putting together a plan for a year or two.

sergeling
Contributor I

Since you mentioned CCIE, so using Cisco as an example: CyberOps Professional

Do you need CyberOps Associate before CyberOps Professional? No

Is it step1 CyberOps Associate ; Step 2 CyberOps Professional? No

Several people in the community told me they passed CompTIA Cysa+ before attempt exam for CyberOps Professional. Does that mean we all need to study and pass CompTIA Cysa+ before doing CyberOps? No.

Cisco website stated the prerequisites:

"There are no formal prerequisites for Cisco Certified CyberOps Professional, but you should have a good understanding of the exam topics before taking the exam.

Candidates often also have three to five years of experience implementing enterprise networking solutions."

It's a certification designed for professionals with 3-5 years experience in the CyberOps; similar logic apply here with certifications such as CISSP. Check the knowledge area the exam covered, know what the certification expected from candidate, understand the exam topics. If you want to study and attempt other exam/obtain other certification with overlapping knowledge area, sure. But it's not required. 

Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

@Arshad Perhaps a fuller explanation would make more sense.  It doesn't make sense to look at particular qualifications in isolation even if there are not pre-requisites for taking the exams,  It makes more sense to me to look at them as part of a journey through your career in infosec.  I'd taken graduate and post graduate qualifications before entering IT, then worked in IT for 10 years before starting in security.  During that time I picked up a lot of knowledge through work, which for the most part wasn't formally certified.  I then worked on implementing an ISO27001 ISMS, then as an infosec consultant.  By the time I took the CISSP I was about 8 years into my InfoSec career, with the CISSP concentrations taken 3 and 4 years after that.  Alongside that I'd picked up qualifications in project/programme management, risk management and auditing.  So the CISSP is just one of many qualifications you might pick up during your career, but it really goes hand in hand with your practical career experience.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS