Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Xenophore
Newcomer II

CCSP, CCSK, or both?

I've been getting the advertisements for the CCSP certification and it looks interesting but a fellow CISSP suggested getting the CCSK or other certification from a different provider because of the additional CPE requirements. According to him, with the CISSP and CCSP, one cannot “double-dip,” i.e., apply the same course to both certifications' requirements as one can with the CISSP and a certification from a different provider. On the other hand, I've read in a different thread that up to 30 hours of courses taken in pursuit of the CCSK can be counted towards the CPE requirements for the CISSP. What experiences have others here had with satisfying the CPE requirements for multiple certifications from the same or different providers?

19 Replies
Adir
Viewer II

Hey,

I did CCSK shortly after CISSP. Looking afterwards at CCSP, it looks doable as the gap is not so big and the concepts (foundations, terminology, etc.) are the same. CCSK is also a valuable certification (at least when combined with CISSP) and for a good reason. The exam is not simple at all, but probably more simple than aiming CCSP straight away. All in all, CCSK is worth it with or without CCSP. If you ask me - I would recommend doing both at this order (CISSP -> CCSK -> CCSP).

As for CPE, I'm not sure about the "provider" question. CCSP is a (ISC)2 & CSA vendors collaboration. if you hold CISSP and afterwards you pass the CCSP exam, your learning time/material counts towards 30 CPE points automatically (and you can auto-endorse yourself, hence getting CCSP certified afterwards). I'm not sure about CCSK though. You'd better ask (ISC)2 for an official answer. If you do get replied, let us know. Thanks!

Tyler
Viewer II

I passed CCSP last week and was thinking about CCSK since I'm on the board at our local CSA chapter.  Did you have to study much for CCSK or do you feel you knew everything to pass it after CCSP?

Thanks!

leonkolthof
Newcomer I

Congratulations with your CCSP, nice.

My experiënce is based on the CCSKv3, it didn't cost me much extra study hours, I spend some extra time reading the ENISA document on Cloud Security. I don't know about the CCSKv4, I'm thinking about upgrading my CCSKv3 in 2018.

Regards,

Leon

Radioteacher
Community Champion

Just to follow up.  I passed the CCSKv3 in October and the CCSP in November.   My endorsement process was completed a week ago but my CPE cycle does not start until January 2018.  

This works for me since now I still have one test token for a try at CCSKv4.  I am currently studying for the CCSKv4 and will take it in January so I can use it as CPE's for my CCSP.  With 85% new material I will study 40 to 60 hours on it and claim a conservative 30 hours of CPE's.

Happy Holidays!

Paul

Tyler
Viewer II

I took the CCSK v4 on Friday and passed.  I spent a day going over ENISA and the CSA guide and then took the test at night.  The CCSP and CCSK are definitely different tests.  

DA1
Viewer II

I’m also looking to do a Cloud certification, currently hold the CISSP. I’m leaning more towards the CCSK because with the CCSP, it appears your CISSP CPE credits don’t count and that’s a heck of a lot of credits to maintain annually for both it would seem? I’m 100% for continual learning however thinking further down the line, a full time Infosec job and commitments outside work and CPEs for both ISC2 certs look like quite a handful - has anyone here both, how are you finding it?

Thanks,

mkirwan
Viewer II

From ISC2…

“If a member holds more than one credential, the CPEs he/she submits will automatically be counted towards all of his/her active credentials.  Members should not enter CPE activities in their record more than one time.”

You are fine for more than one cert.

sophia_cart
Newcomer II

Awesome,

A Cisco Certified Security Professional (CCSP) is an IT (Information Technology) professional who has received formal training from Cisco Systems in network-related security hardware, software and management. CCSPs are commonly employed in IT security departments and as system administrators.

The CCSK is a web-based examination of an individual's competency in key cloud security issues. Launched in 2010, the CCSK is a widely recognized standard of expertise and is the industry's primary benchmark for measuring cloud security skillsets.

leonkolthof
Newcomer I

In this case CCSP is referred to the Certified Cloud Security Professional certification from (ISC)2 and not the CCSP certification from Cisco. The comparison is between the CCSK from the Cloud Security Alliance (CSA) and the CCSP from (ISC)2.

armg183
Newcomer I

The CCSK will be sunk to the vaults of irrelevancy. Seeing that the Cloud Security Alliance has teamed up with (ISC)^2 to create a new cloud exam speaks volumes. Always stay away from any certifications that are online and unproctured. It does not matter how an online exam is set up. Anyone can always hire or have someone take the exam for them. There are plenty of "professional" test takers for hire. This is always the main reason given by job recruiters and employers when I ask them why they prefer the CCSP over the CCSK, and that reason is the CCSK is less credible. With the CCSP, you have to go physically take the exam, do a palm vein scan, and present two picture IDs.