cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dan2melz
Newcomer I

Looking for International oppertunities

Good evening,

I am looking international opportunities to take my cyber security skills to Europe.  As an American citizen and CISSP, would anyone know of opening currently?

Thank you 

9 Replies
joelontheroad
Viewer II

I have lived/worked outside the US and worked for large multi-national with colleagues all over the world, so here are few "outside the box" options for you to consider (beyond marriage):

• If you're a veteran, you may be able to work in a few other countries such as the Philippines which allow American veterans to work there.
  • The easiest way to work in a country is via citizenship.  If one of your grandparents, or even great-grandparents came from another country, you may be able to get citizenship through them. Different countries have different requirements for how many generations back you can go. Getting citizenship in one EU country allows you to work in any EU country. Likewise Commonwealth countries allow citizens to work on other Commonwealth countries (many of the countries of the former British Empire, such as Australia, Canada, etc.). Here's an interesting wrinkle.  Let's say you have a great-grand parent that comes from an EU country, but that EU country only extends citizenship via grand parents. Depending on the rules of that country, you may be able to posthumously have your great-grandparent bestow their country of origin's citizenship on your grand parent and then get your citizenship through >your< grandparent.
  • From time to time, countries relax their work permit requirements in order to attract a particularly attractive class of workers.  For example, about eight years ago or so New Zealand was looking for high tech  workers and they allowed US citizens to work there if they agreed to a few conditions, including age restrictions and savings requirements.
  • You can pay for citizenship. Many countries allow you to become a citizen if you: 1) start a business, or 2) come with a minimum amount, typically US$100K. 
  • Many countries now have a Digital Nomad visa. For example, Brazil.  They typically require you to
    • prove you have a job or a viable business, even if it's freelancing
    • have health insurance
    • agree not to generate business with in the host country.

Basically, countries don't want you to become a burden, nor take jobs away from citizens.

There are plenty of resources on the web and youtube that detail these ideas and others.

Generally, companies do not want to pay for foreign high tech workers because:

• In general, hiring a foreign worker increases their risk.  You're here in this forum, so you understand risk.
  • It' complicates taxes and that's an added administration expense for them.
  • They have to pay healthcare.
  • They can typically get good employees in their own country or federation.

What I've found is that foreign nationals living in your target country and working in your desired industry typically are great sources of information. Also, being on the ground, in country really helps.  I encourage you to go visit the country you want to live in for 30 days and see how much reconnaissance you can do in that time.  Spend no more than 30 days, otherwise your tax status will change. Do remote work to sustain yourself in that time. I've found that  30 days allows you to cast off the feeling of being a tourist and allows you to feel like you're living in a country for a little bit.

dan2melz
Newcomer I

Yes I can see how it will be competitive and where standing out your skills and selling yourself would become key.  I believe now that I updated my resume adding that im willing to work international should be added.  I had to change alot of resume to focus more on metrics and number of what I accomplished as I was told thats what managers look for. 

dan2melz
Newcomer I

So it sounds like the easiest move as a US citizen would be to find an American company that does business Internationally. That seems like it would save time with paper work, possibly be able to travel overseas to work with clients, and gather international experience.  I can most likely have ChatGPT to find me a list of companies to research that offer this kind of work, but seems like this maybe the most logical move. 

denbesten
Community Champion

@dan2melz wrote:

...My understanding was it was the company who would handle a lot of the legal paper work ...

Think about it from their perspective.  If you were their decision maker, what value do you offer above and beyond the next guy to make it worth their time, effort and money to hire lawyers and process experts to jump though the necessary hoops.  Or is the next candidate "close enough"?  

Now, go sell them on the added value you bring.

if i'm legally allowed to work in the country?

If you are a citizen, yes.  Otherwise, the answer is "No" unless you have already jumped through all the hoops and gotten said paperwork.

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

I think as most of these roles are going to require that an employer sponsor your cork visa it’s good to talk to the recruiter and see if they are willing to do that.

There’s a chap call Rama on the forum who’s trying the same thing from Australia to the IS and he got feedback on some of his applications that the employer wasn’t willing to sponsor even though he for the reqs for an E3 visa. (this is a IS Visa for Aussies). So I think that there’s a degree if you apply and you need a work visa make sure the employer is expecting this. From speaking to people getting a rejection may not be so common as some folk seem to just receive no response.

Looking at both of the anglophone countries it would seem you need to be sponsored by an employer, and there process isn’t cheap in both cases:

https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa

https://enterprise.gov.ie/en/what-we-do/workplace-and-skills/employment-permits/permit-types/critica...
dan2melz
Newcomer I

Ive been doing research on this part since i'm not familiar with how it works.  But when I see the option box asking if i'm legally allowed to work in the country i'm not sure what i would need.  Would there be some form of paper I have to sign before applying to Europe? That is also a good point in the resume portion I should put that in my summary section I did not think of that.  My understanding was it was the company who would handle a lot of the legal paper work but if there is something I can do to help stream line this process I would like to do it.

denbesten
Community Champion

@dan2melz wrote:

Everything is up to date with resumes and Linkedin so we can check that off.  Location I would say Europe UK, Spain, Italy.  

Have you "checked off" the legal permission to work in those countries?  That is, having obtained "work permit" or "work visa" from their government?  If so that ought to be mentioned on your resume as it is a significant deciding factor.

If not, you are asking the potential employer to take on a risky/expensive burden that most wouldn't pursue unless you are their unicorn.

dan2melz
Newcomer I

Everything is up to date with resumes and Linkedin so we can check that off.  Location I would say Europe UK, Spain, Italy.  I believe the one thing that can not be checked off is the approach.  Will have to work on that and the mindset as people can pick up on the energy if it is not in the right place.  So will need to slow down and approach things from a different perspective.

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

There are quite a few options, but I’d suggest a different approach, I see a lot of please help me get a Job in the US, Europe, SIngapore, Australia etc. I’ve got a CC/CISSP and want to move there… never open like this as it makes it seem to your prospective employer/sponsor the move is more Important than the role.

1. ID country and jobs - for a IS citizen I’d say Ireland and the UK are your tier one options(Singapore is good as well due to English). Once you map your ideal role from the searches and get a tailored resume and apply to a few and get a couple of recruitment consultants.
2. Apply for a few roles that are good fits and see what you get back - you can do so via contacts however everyone will want a CV, and you should keep it fresh and up to date.
3. Enough responses? Work with what you get and see if you need more output.

Good for goose, sauce for gander:

https://community.isc2.org/t5/Cybersecurity-Job-Openings/Looking-for-Cybersecurity-jobs-in-the-Unite...
dan2melz
Newcomer I

Looking for International oppertunities

Good evening,

I am looking international opportunities to take my cyber security skills to Europe.  As an American citizen and CISSP, would anyone know of opening currently?

Thank you