cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rk_nagoju
Newcomer I

Looking for Cybersecurity jobs in the United States

Greetings to All,

Presently, I hold the position of Senior Security Engineer at one of Australia's prominent Big4 Banks. With over 13 years of professional experience in the field of cybersecurity, my expertise spans application security strategy, the delivery of services such as SAST, SCA, DAST, DevSecOps, and VAPT. In addition to my extensive experience, I also possess CISSP and CCSP certifications.

My aspiration is to relocate and work in the United States for a designated period. I am an Australian Citizen and have the ability to obtain an E3 visa through a job offer with Labor Condition Application (LCA). Could you kindly provide guidance on how to secure a cybersecurity position while residing overseas?

3 Replies
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

The fact you’re getting rejections is in of-itself good I think - quite a few people just encounter radio silence.

How long have you been looking for and do you see any possible roles not being filled?
Especially month on month? These might indicate a difficulty to fill.

Might be time to play your SI consultant project hire card. Friend of mine got a role in Amsterdam doing AIOps. To a certain extent big four, Accentures, Infosys, IBMs etc are probably easier is you have experience with certain tools if today they had a “Tenable Person” shaped hole on a project etc - and a time crunch - so looking into this area is good if you’ve built up 3-6 months of rejection on your first tier stuff. Probably good to avoid “I’m really a manager land” as those tend to go to locals/folk who have been in the company for a while, so you might need to move down the pay scale a bit if it’s not working out where you are now in terms of level.

I thin the Eligibility for the E3 Visa is good, but I think but you might consider that hiring is slow right now (friend of mine who is well qualified having a few issues finding something suitable. Also worth considering a lot of the current feelings out there right now in the population:

https://www.uscis.gov/archive/buy-american-and-hire-american-putting-american-workers-first (old and archived but interesting as they published stats).

https://www.fairus.org/legislation/biden-immigration-border-policy/legal-immigration/proposed-change...

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/07/31/ai-could-affect-many-white-collar-high-paid-jobs.html

rk_nagoju
Newcomer I

@Early_Adopter Thank you for your response.

I am looking for opportunities in Application Security domain and did recce on available jobs, cost of living etc.

Applied for a few jobs but got rejections. When I inquired the companies for feedback, few of them responded that the rejection was due to not having an existing work authorization and they are not ready to sponsor.

As much as possible I would like to avoid consultancies and apply directly for a full-time role. But every FTE role asks objective questions on work authorization which I could not get past.

Any thoughts on this ?

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

Here’s my suggestion.

As you’ve banking experience you should probably look to the US banking sector and research where those openings are. I’d guess New York, but looking at the job postings on Linked in would make sense to target where you want to work. Do also look at salary to cost of living ratios. A recce like this is your best first step as the information helps you select appropriate roles, look at employers and helps you calculate the viability of the move.

Secondly, you have experience so join local associations if you can and contact recruitment consultants - be specific and selective about the roles you want from the outputs from the first step, if you go too wide away from your skills then it might turn people off as they may think it’s about the move of country rather than what impact you can make I’ve seen folk taking too wide an approach trying to get into Singapore and it works out much less well than being focused.

Thirdly to differentiate yourself I’d say while you’re working on this look at OSCP and CSSLP, a lot of the processes you mention would be supported by these certifications.
rk_nagoju
Newcomer I

Looking for Cybersecurity jobs in the United States

Greetings to All,

Presently, I hold the position of Senior Security Engineer at one of Australia's prominent Big4 Banks. With over 13 years of professional experience in the field of cybersecurity, my expertise spans application security strategy, the delivery of services such as SAST, SCA, DAST, DevSecOps, and VAPT. In addition to my extensive experience, I also possess CISSP and CCSP certifications.

My aspiration is to relocate and work in the United States for a designated period. I am an Australian Citizen and have the ability to obtain an E3 visa through a job offer with Labor Condition Application (LCA). Could you kindly provide guidance on how to secure a cybersecurity position while residing overseas?