Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ericgeater
Community Champion

"non-credential holders"

Howdy there.  A colleague was asking about creating a new chapter for our unserved area, and I started looking down the rabbit holes.  While reading this document (isc2chapterguidelines.ashx), I read that the Chapter Application must be signed by 15 people, including "(ISC)² credentialed members and non-credential holders may join an (ISC)² Chapter" [emphasis mine].

So... what exactly is a non-credential holder?

The FAQ for membership (Frequently Asked Questions | (ISC)² (isc2.org)) clearly states that membership is granted to someone who passes one of the six exams, completes an approved endorsement, and pays the AMFs.

-----------
A claim is as good as its veracity.
7 Replies
CraginS
Defender I

@ericgeater asked,

"

Howdy there.  A colleague was asking about creating a new chapter for our unserved area, and I started looking down the rabbit holes.  While reading this document (isc2chapterguidelines.ashx), I read that the Chapter Application must be signed by 15 people, including "(ISC)² credentialed members and non-credential holdersmay join an (ISC)² Chapter" [emphasis mine].

So... what exactly is a non-credential holder?"

Eric,

I am a non-credential holder, as is anyone who does not have current certification from (ISC)2. From 2002 into 2020 I was a credential holder, while I was a CISSP. Letting my certification expire last year changed my status to non-. There is one ambiguity that @AndreaMoore should answer: Is an Associate of (ISC)2 a credential holder? 

My understanding is that a chapter can have members who are not certified as a tool to introduce them to (ISC)2 and help move them forward to certification.

Good luck with the chapter plans.

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
ericgeater
Community Champion

"a chapter can have members who are not certified as a tool to introduce them to (ISC)2"

Which makes perfect sense, but it also creates a stress point when it comes to payment (if a chapter allows a member's AMF to serve as dues), and a reasonable expectation for the non-credential holder to eventually meet (ISC)2's minimum requirements.

I will be interested to hear more!

-----------
cdhummer
Viewer

Hello Eric.

This is Chuck Hummer. We met at the NCS event recently and we talked about your joining the Chapter. At present, you have been added to our membership data base, and you are very welcome to participate in this important meeting and other activities relating to the relaunch process and other Chapter events.

As we briefly discussed at NCS, the Chapter is undergoing a relaunch to expand its membership and to ignite increased interest among cybersecurity practitioners within Northern Alabama.

The Chapter's meetings are open to anyone regardless of the cybersecurity certifications (e.g., "credentials") they may hold. As an (ISC)2 credential holder, you should have received one or two emails announcing the Chapter's relaunch.

The relaunch-focused meeting is scheduled for 5:30pm - 7:00 pm on December 16th. It will be held in the Chan Auditorium of UAH's Business Administration Building. Please let us know if you intend to attend this important meeting by visiting our RSVP page at: https://forms.gle/ycRxiH3DLv6hBxWd7

If you have any other questions, please contact me at charles.hummer@isc2-huntsville.org. I also hope that most of your questions will also be addressed during the December 16th meeting.

BTW: Any person attending the meeting with an (ISC)2 credential will be able to cast votes for adoption of bylaws, chapter officers, and other decisions requiring membership approval. Non-credentialed individuals may attend as well, but they will not have any voting rights until they obtain an (ISC)2 credential.

I hope that helps.

ericgeater
Community Champion

Chuck, thanks for your response.  I sent a private message to you which pertains to the local chapter event.  Your response here was very helpful, and I appreciate it!

-----------
AndreaMoore
Community Manager

Thanks @cdhummer!

That was a very helpful response. 

In addition, there is an FAQ document specifically on Chapters at the bottom of this page: https://www.isc2.org/Chapters

I'll look further into the other question regarding Associate and non-credential status language used as you mentioned above.

ISC2 Community Manager
AndreaMoore
Community Manager

@ericgeater 

Associate of (ISC)2 is a pathway to certification for those who do not yet have the number of years of experience to become fully certified. Therefore, an "Associate" is not a "credential holder." You asked for examples of someone who does not have the credentials - that would be someone like an Associate (passed exam but not the endorsement process (work experience) or someone who was fully a member but let their membership lapse (did not pay AMF or maintain their required CPE credits).

Regarding the Chapter questions: 

You have to be a credential holder ( (ISC)2 Member) to start a chapter. Non-credential holders (non-members) cannot start a chapter, but can join after it’s been established and the chartering group receives its charter.

I hope this helps clear up some confusion. 

ISC2 Community Manager
ericgeater
Community Champion

Thank you!

-----------