Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sgrover
ISC2 Team

(ISC)2 Chapter Leaders - We want Your Input!

We are excited to announce that we are planning the expansion of chapter technology offerings and support! Our goal is to streamline chapter operations and enhance your volunteer experience; so that you can focus on what you enjoy most, impacting the cybersecurity profession. In order to ensure we focus on your top priorities, please let us know what technology services would make the biggest impact for you and your chapter. 

Technology options we are looking into include: 

• Member Management System 
  • Chapter Microsite 
  • Event Registration 
  • Community Board 
  • Document Library 
  • Volunteer Portal 
  • And More!! 

Submit your feedback now!

Please complete by March 31, 2023. 

3 Replies
gidyn
Contributor III

I'd be interested to know how many chapters are actually functioning in any meaningful way. The overwhelming majority of chapters (including the one that I belong to) do not appear to be exhibiting any signs of life, although I cannot discount that they're operating under the public radar.

This is not unexpected, nor necessarily undesired. Long gone are the days when the primary mediums for networking were in-person events and local gatherings. In an age when events are global, meetings are virtual, and the primary means of communication do not care for geography, local chapters may be something of an anachronism.

I'm fully supportive of those chapters which still have regular events. Globally remote networking cannot approach the quality of in-person interactions. However, given the reality that most professionals are operating in a globally distributed environment - the people that I react with on a day-to-day basis are spread across multiple continents - it may be worth reconsidering how local chapters fit into the community.
JoePete
Advocate I

@gidyn wrote:
Long gone are the days when the primary mediums for networking were in-person events and local gatherings. In an age when events are global, meetings are virtual, and the primary means of communication do not care for geography, local chapters may be something of an anachronism.

I know in my area, one of the challenges may be that other groups have been much more established. For example, my local ISSA chapter was fairly well established, but even pre-Covid it started to scale back. There were also a couple of very active user groups that were great resources with monthly meetings, etc. As such, my local (ISC)2 chapter started out playing third fiddle to these groups.

I think the assessment that virtualized meetings have taken over the space (due to logistics, cost, etc.) is very accurate. I think another factor is just real estate. Nearly every company I know of is cutting back on space post-Covid. If the (ISC)2 is considering a chapter reboot, maybe it would make sense to introduce virtual chapters that were associated by industry or interest rather than geography? I do prefer in-person meetings, but we have entered an age of being more physically isolated (driven by a range of reasons). 

sgrover
ISC2 Team

Hi,

I apologize for the delay. Thank you for your feedback. We have compiled our 2022 Chapter Annual Report, please find the report here: https://isc2.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/41000000eoKs/a/4N000002SmrA/Schs0pcvVIIBrV8ER.JA5nCoWbs93mA8TZa...

Many chapters did struggle through Covid, but also many chapter are now bouncing back and thriving. People are wanting to get back to connecting locally with their peers; and chapters also offer virtual events. 

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Sarah