cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fortean
Contributor III

Excellent, excellent!

zaal.png

The Dutch Chapter of (ISC)2 has seen a steady growth in the number of visitors of our events. Last night we organised our first event in 2018 and I'm happy to report that it was yet another excellent evening. We were welcomed by our friends of Snow BV in Geldermalsen, whom provided a fine meal, drinks and snacks and allowed us to use their excellent presentation room. This room holds 120 people, and as can be seen on the picture above, was packed to the rim.

The evening was hosted by our board member Eric Nieuwland. Normally it is your not so humble Chapter President's job to lead these events, but as I would give a presentation myself, we felt that I had already quite sufficient airtime as it was. Eric, who is an experienced trainer and speaker (and of course an expert information security professional)  did an excellent job.

Willem Westerhof continued the evening. He recently graduated with honours and now works for Qbit. He performed serious ethical hacking work on solar cell power installations,  disclosing a large number of vulnerabilities to the specific vendor. In his talk Willem proved that it is possible to cause large scale (nation-wide/continental wide) power outages using the discovered vulnerabilities. 

After Willems interesting and very actual talk I continued the evening with my talk about TTN. I am a senior consultant at Snow BV and as such provide education and advice to various companies. I also recently graduated as a Master of Cyber Security and my talk involved the work I did to study the dangers of volunteer driven IoT infrastructures. As I am also one of Hollands voluntary millers I could, of course, not resist and so my presentation revolved around a mix of quite old and very new technologies - and the dangers involved.

After the quite luxureous coffee break, in which a lot of networking and information exchange took place, our third and final speaker concluded the evening. Ashok Nirsoe previously served as a member of the Social Innovation/Hitachi Insight Group in Santa Clara/US and has been involved in multiple IoT projects world-wide. He is an experienced Solution Architect at Hitachi Vantara, with broad spectrum of in depth and hands-on domain expertise and technical knowledge. Ashok presented parts of his work on car related IoT, and informed us about the graving lack of security controls in this cost driven micro-electronics world.

Our Chapter is very happy to see the continuation of our success. Our events are free of charge and in principle open to the general public. However, if you are on Dutch soil and want to visit one of our events, please register with us as a member. We have a policy to invite our members first and this time we already fully sold out before we could even publish the event publicly. So if you want to stand a fair chance - register as a member!

--
Heinrich W. Klöpping, MSc CISSP CCSP CIPP/E CTT+
3 Replies
eric-nieuwland
Newcomer II

You may want to visit the event page.

It shows the event programme, the presentations (don't worry, they're in English), and a photo impression (soon).

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

Nice!

ZippFire
Newcomer II

It was a blast!

Jeroen van de Weerd

Loose lips sink ships....