cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MJURSCHEL
Newcomer II

career changer

Hello ISC2 members,

I'm a 57 year old healthcare business owner/professional. Last year I was contemplating getting an IT certification. I wondered if it would benefit me in the later stages of my career. I was encouraged by an IT professional to pursue a certification such as HCISPP,  Since I been working in the healthcare profession for 18 years.  He felt that holding that certification would get me positioned with the government or a contractor. I did take and pass the HCISPP examination in August of 2020. Currently the only experience I have is performing risk assessments for my own company

I am having trouble matching my certification with job postings. My question is does anyone know what position titles I should look to apply for.  In your opinions considering my age and experience do you feel I have a shot at landing something?  Or, is it a waste of my time to try to pursue a change at my age? Any thoughts are welcome. 

Thanks Much,

Michael

6 Replies
jamensah2
Newcomer I

First all thanks. yes is good idea

AppDefects
Community Champion

Opportunities for cyber professionals in healthcare is where it is at. Especially if you are in the Nashville area. Is the security risk? Look no farther than the ransomware hitting hospitals. The skills you bring to the table (although not the operating table) are in high demand, so although you may not see a fancy job title or a job description calling out the certification by name you will see a correlation of the skills to your certification. Standard job titles apply: Information Security Officer/Engineer, Security/Privacy Risk Analyst, Security Consultant, Compliance Auditor, etc. All you need to do is show your badge on LinkedIn and the offers will come to you or search on Indeed - today there were no less than 50 requisitions for HCISPPs. 

ericgeater
Community Champion

Congratulations on your exam!

--
"A claim is as good as its veracity."
Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

Congrats on the exam pass.  You experience in health should stand you in good stead as that domain knowledge it probably more valuable to employers than the specific HCISSP cert.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS
AndreaMoore
Community Manager

I recently created new private groups for certification holders. I highly suggest reaching out to others who have the cert as well. https://community.isc2.org/t5/HCISPP-Group/gh-p/HCISPP_Group_Hub 

All Certification Groups are found here (these are private and you must hold the cert to join): https://community.isc2.org/t5/Certification-Groups/ct-p/CertificationGroupHubs

For those studying for an upcoming exam, study groups for each certification can be found here (these are open to anyone to join): https://community.isc2.org/t5/Study-Groups/ct-p/CertificationStudyGroups 

ISC2 Community Manager
MJURSCHEL
Newcomer II

Thank you Andrea, I been a member since october 2020