Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lamont29
Community Champion

You Have Value!

I am looking for a SSCP professional who’s interested in the possibility to grow your career with my organization. There are an array of technologies available.If you are a “Paper CISSP” or an Associate CISSP who has passed the CISSP exam and live in the Chicago area, I would really like to talk to you about a great career opportunity. I consider those who are great learners to be true prodigies within the Information Security career field.

Lamont Robertson
M.S., M.A., CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, CDPSE, MCSE
2 Replies
CraginS
Defender I

"Paper CISSP” or an Associate CISSP"

Lamont, I am not sure what you might mean by 'Paper CISSP.' 

If you are using the term as an analog to the old 'Paper MCSE' crowd who had never done hands on MS OS tasks but had passed the M$ exam, that is an affront to all CISSPs. There are many fully qualified CISSPs whose primary experience in the domains is not pen testing or OS hardening or perimeter defense administration. No matter what domains are in the qualifying experience, no properly certified CISSP is a 'paper' one.

Moreover, there is absolutely no such thing as a 'Associate CISSP' and no one should ever use that term.

Those of us who are CISSP should never use the term, lest certification applicants or HR departments start using it. Those who are Associates of (ISC)2 can endanger the ability to ever achieve the CISSP if they use that bogus term, because it gives the appearance to non-(SC)2 members of claiming the certification without actually having it, an explicit violation of the Code of Ethics.

The Associate of (ISC)2 status was originally created for applicants who passed the CISSP (not SSCP)  exam but did not yet have the requisite five years of experience in multiple domains. At that time (ISC)2 had only the CISSP and SSCP. 

Apparently (ISC)2 now uses the Associate of (ISC)2 status for applicants who have passed the exam for any of several certifications. As such, they  identify those members a Associate of (ISC)2 Seeking CISSP or Seeking CCSP.

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
Lamont29
Community Champion

@CraginS wrote:

"Paper CISSP” or an Associate CISSP"

Point well-taken. And again, it’s been my experience that experienced CISSP’s tend to marginalize the new CISSP’s, especially those professionals who have passed the new CAT version of the exam. Those who follow me very well know that I am all in favor of the new generation of security professionals and that I like to ‘play it forward’ so to speak. The only thing that I meant to convey is that I have an opportunity for a young aspiring CISSP or a SSCP. If you have taken anything more from it than that, then you have not followed me enough to know that the faux pas was intended and that I am only being facetious – nothing more than that.

Lamont Robertson
M.S., M.A., CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, CDPSE, MCSE