Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Radioteacher
Community Champion

Working with the Interns - BSides CFP

We are working with two Interns over the last two months and today I tasked them to create a Call For Paper for the local BSides event. 

It will be an "In the Begining" talk on their progress so far and the impact of the Intern program.

Speaking and presenting is part of this job so get out there and do it!

It is only 20 minutes, so make up no more than eight slides.

Paul

P.S. It also looks good on a resume. 

2 Replies
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

Takes me back - I was involved in the planning for the first BSides in London. Unfortunately, I emigrated before the day,,, we did have a nice Curry just before thought.

Some thoughts...

The interns would be well advised to know must be very respectful of their elders (who are probably very dignified and important and never froze on a presentation, no that never happened), use only properly licensed clip-art and must ensure they face the slides and read everything meticulously... even the bullet points. 😛

Well... probably not - My real advice is they warm up by playing powerpoint roulette and aim present slides made up of nothing but alternating wildlife photos and embedded videos from Ethereal(old Wireshark) - It will be more sporting that way.

Radioteacher
Community Champion

We are planning at least two "dress rehearsals" one of which will be at our in-house Toastmaster group.  

During the first alpha test, I am going to power off his computer about halfway through the presentation, to make them think on their feet.  What to do now? Well, "The show must go on."

I learned that maneuver when I took my check flight with the FAA.  On climbing out, he pulled the throttles out and calmly said: "Your engine failed.".  So I called on the radio that I had a "Simulated Engine Failure" and returned to dead stick land the plane on the runway.   

Expect the unexpected.

Paul