cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ccurity
Viewer II

Willing mentors please apply here!

Hello,

I'm looking for a mentor to help me gain a broader understanding of certain areas in Information Security - in particular around consultancy, leadership, and architecture.  Hopefully this would be a mutually beneficial relationship.

I have been in Information Security for around 5 years, and I am looking to complete my CISSP in the next 6 months or so.  I'm already SSCP, CASP, and hold an MSc in Information Security.

I've recently moved roles and am now a budding Security Architect with a pretty greenfield understanding of Enterprise Architecture and security within large organisations.  Personally, I am very interested in Data Security (Data Loss/Theft in particular), increasing my leadership capabilities, and understanding of how different organisations function and the roles that different positions may change within those organisations.  My current understanding is that a Security Architect in one organisation will broadly have the same role as a Security Architect in another but maybe with varying degrees of responsibility.

It would be of great help to share stories, and methodologies for thinking, if you're willing then please get in contact.

Many thanks,

CCurity

3 Replies
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@ccurity 

How would you like to conduct such a mentor/mentee relationship - Webex, Slack or other communications means? 

Regards

Caute_cautim

@ccurity wrote:

Hello,

I'm looking for a mentor to help me gain a broader understanding of certain areas in Information Security - in particular around consultancy, leadership, and architecture.  Hopefully this would be a mutually beneficial relationship.

I have been in Information Security for around 5 years, and I am looking to complete my CISSP in the next 6 months or so.  I'm already SSCP, CASP, and hold an MSc in Information Security.

I've recently moved roles and am now a budding Security Architect with a pretty greenfield understanding of Enterprise Architecture and security within large organisations.  Personally, I am very interested in Data Security (Data Loss/Theft in particular), increasing my leadership capabilities, and understanding of how different organisations function and the roles that different positions may change within those organisations.  My current understanding is that a Security Architect in one organisation will broadly have the same role as a Security Architect in another but maybe with varying degrees of responsibility.

It would be of great help to share stories, and methodologies for thinking, if you're willing then please get in contact.

Many thanks,

CCurity

rslade
Influencer II

> ccurity (Viewer) posted a new topic in Career on 02-12-2019 09:38 AM in the

> Subject: Willing mentors please apply here!

Ummmmm, I think you're seeing this relationship backwards ... 🙂

Other posts: https://community.isc2.org/t5/forums/recentpostspage/user-id/1324864413

This message may or may not be governed by the terms of
http://www.noticebored.com/html/cisspforumfaq.html#Friday or
https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@rsladeWhat is your understanding and definition of the differences between a coaching relationship; mentor relationship and that of the mentee?  I am curious.

Regards

Caute_cautim