Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hookbret
Viewer

What does earning the CISSP demonstrate about a cybersecurity professional?

I want to understand to what extent earning the CISSP certification endorses a cybersecurity professional's skills and knowledge. I'm interested in knowing what kind of expertise and credibility this certification provides to a professional. Your perspective will help me better understand its benefits and importance.

3 Replies

Earning the CISSP certification demonstrates that a cybersecurity professional has the necessary skills to effectively design, implement, and manage a best-in-class cybersecurity program. For successful ISC2 CISSP exam preparation, i recommend utilizing practice test because it will help you gain essential exam knowledge and understand key concepts.

CISOScott
Community Champion

Earning the CISSP shows that along with learning the required core body of knowledge you have the experience to go along with it. It is not just a "pass a test" and get a certificate type of certification. The fact that it requires 5 years experience along with it, makes it more than just your ordinary run of the mill certification.

leekimjd
Newcomer III

The CISSP certification is the gold standard if you're a cybersecurity professional. That's what my peers told me, including those from the CERT/CC program (those are the good folks at Carnegie Mellon). Taking and passing the CISSP exam is an attestation to your knowledge across a wide variety of cybersecurity-related domains of knowledge.

An article that I wrote about my taking and passing the CISSP exam (as well as the IAPP CIPP/US) is here: https://www.himss.org/resources/my-journey-attaining-two-professional-certifications-cipp-and-cissp - it is not recent. But it gives you a perspective on what a difference it made.

It truly did. Even though I worked for a non-profit (and I still work for the same non-profit), I earned a lot of respect from my peers and colleagues. (I had years of experience before taking the exam, but getting the CISSP credential truly catalyzed my career.)

Today I'm an SME in healthcare cybersecurity for a global not-for-profit organization. I would definitely recommend the CISSP credential. It is worthwhile.

Lee Kim

2024 ISC2 board of directors candidate

www.linkedin.com/in/leekim