Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bduffy89
Newcomer II

Suggestions for reaching out to IS team

Hello, I'm looking to transition out of Healthcare. Getting ready to take the CC with plans to also start looking into Microsoft azure and comptia certifications since I don't have formal experience but have also been working my way throughthe beginner sectionsof TryHackMe and did a coding bootcamp a year go. Did some searching and found the names of the CISO and a few other people within the department and was hoping I could get some suggestions on reaching out. Best scenario would be I'm able to apply internally for a junior roll, but id be happy with the potential to network.
4 Replies
JoePete
Advocate I

There's nothing wrong with reaching out to the CISO and be direct: "I work in xxx but would really like to transfer into your area. Can I grab a few minutes with you some time. Coffee on me."

The other thing for building your network is find your local ISSA and (ISC)2 chapters plus any other groups. Try to get to some meetings, and network that way.

Bduffy89
Newcomer II

Thank you! I've actually done this once before internally with the CIO, he was super approachable and made time to meet with me, that was more general questions and at the time suggested Data analytics or QI. Took a look but definitely not for me, kept going back to cyber at the end ofnthe day. Glad to know its definitely still a good option to try, I was definitely a bit more hesitant to reach out to the CISO directly since im actively interested in the field now.

I'll also post to the local chapters i joined here, they don't appear to be super active, but I won't let that deter me going forward. Thanks again for the suggestions and confidence boost.

Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

If you reach out to people it may be better to ask for their advice on how to enter the field rather than ask them straight out for a job.  You could also ask if they know from their network any other organisations that may be looking to hire less experienced resources or someone with transferable skills.

In the past I've approached internal audit departments, as they will know if there's slow progress on addressing audit findings and potentially if these are due to resource constraints.  If you're lucky you might get a lead on an opening before it's even advertised, but you have to put in the leg work.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS
Bduffy89
Newcomer II

Absolutely, honestly networking, possibly getting some chance for mentorship or even job observation if allowed and maybe putting a face to the name if an appropriate role opens up in the future would be my main goal for this. That is a great idea though about asking about other organizations; I'd even be willing to come in on weekends and help with intern level tasks or just anything menial if it meant experience.