cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ccg
Newcomer I

Looking for career Advice

Hi There,

I am currently working in GRC and have IT SOX risk and compliance experience. I recently passed and got CISSP certified. Please let me know how to get a cybersecurity job or what to look out for exactly?

Thank you,

CG

4 Replies
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

Well… as you’re a CISSP in GRC you’re already there… as it’s a broad church so to speak.

Every one’s situation is different so no one honest can have an exactly for you, however first question you need to answer is what do you want to do?(what is a ‘cybersecurity job’ to you?) Once you’ve decided that is it possible to do this with your current employer? If so that’s a low risk transition if not:

1. Structured job search - control your parameters and use a feedback loop to modify your approach;
2. Networking, networking, networking.
3. Join all the correct clubs, associations, etc. see if you can badger someone into being a mentor.
4. Keep your current job until you have a new one…

Good luck!

ccg
Newcomer I

Thank you for your input. When you say badger someone to be a mentor, what you mean exactly and how to do it?.

Also, when you say - what is a ‘cybersecurity job’ to you? Do you mean pick up something that interests me from the CISSP 8 domains?

Regards,

CG

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

Hi CG,

Yes find someone already doing the job, preferably in the same geolocation and ask if they will mentor/coach you. They are a sounding board, confident, they can help hold you to account , question you. Gee you up if you’re feeling down and curb your enthusiasm if you are exhibiting signs of over enthusiasm… basically it’s someone you trust, who knows what they are talking about(doing the job/experienced/level headed) that will talk to you periodically. Example here: https://www.csa.gov.sg/our-programmes/talents-skills-development/cybersecurity-career-mentoring-prog...

But anyone you can buy a coffee for and who will help you order your thoughts and approach by sharing their experience.

Well I wouldn’t choose the eight CISSP domains - they are just ways of strutting the CBK and I felt that the ten before them made more sense… but it’s more about what you’d like to do/what fits you. Hers a list from SANS (there are many more) I’d pick three aligned on what you like and then work towards those:

https://www.sans.org/cybersecurity-careers/20-coolest-cyber-security-careers/

ccg
Newcomer I

Ok thank you. I will check.

Regards,

CG