cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Radioteacher
Community Champion

Re-Engaging the (ISC)² Community

2020 what a year! 

I interviewed for a new position at a different local financial institution in early January.  I accepted their offer at the end of the month.  It was a big change.  I spent over twenty years building and securing solutions at my previous employer.  After that amount of time, leaving was feeling like a loss, like breaking up a long time relationship.

Things that helped me to get me through this was talking to my mentors and the excitement that the new opportunity would bring.

Less then a month after I started the new work, the pandemic hit.  So before I got settled in my office, we expanded work from home and left the campus for my home office.  

My home office took some getting used to but what helped the most was to move out of the house to my ham radio shack.  This made it feel like I was at an office since it was separate from the house.

Now I rotate to the office for one week and the next three weeks are Work From Ham shack (WFH).

With all of the changes, it has taken months to get back to a good rhythm and balance! 

I hope you are all safe and well.

-Paul

6 Replies
dcontesti
Community Champion

Welcome back.  

CISOScott
Community Champion

Welcome back and maybe you should use WFHS instead of WFH as people might get confused!

AndreaMoore
Community Manager

@Radioteacher welcome back! You'll notice quite a few things were updated with the Community while you were gone. 

ISC2 Community Manager
Radioteacher
Community Champion

The Chapter section is very nice and I got connected to my local chapter.

I submitted some CPE's in the portal for some presentations to the BSidesSATX in July, the local Women in Cybersecurity affiliate in August and the local (ISC)2 chapter last week.  It was a very smooth process and it updated very quickly. 

I see the agenda is online for (ISC)2 Congress.  Things are looking up for (ISC)2!  

Paul

ericgeater
Community Champion

Just reading this.  The one thing about COVID is that you can't as easily ask another ham to come over and "elmer" a solution with you.  Glad you can work from the shack!

N4EAG in EM64fu

--
"A claim is as good as its veracity."
Radioteacher
Community Champion

Eric,

It is amazing how resilient Amateur Radio can be.  The San Antonio Radio Club, Bexar County's Communication Resource since 1919, moved quickly to online monthly meetings. 

Then they started a twice-weekly meeting schedule, one as a health and wellness meeting and the other is an "Ask the Elmer**" meeting.  They have a higher engagement now than the in-person meetings.   

Field Day went well from our home stations and some used the FT8 and FT4 modes for the first time.

73 and have a great day!

Paul

** "Elmer" is a term used in Amateur Radio for a mentor.