Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steven897
Newcomer I

Looking for best certifications in cyber security to choose from

Hello folks, I am looking for some great cyber security certifications to choose from so that I can kick start my career in this domain. 

7 Replies
Until_then
Contributor I

What do you mean by best? 

Comparing certs is comparing apples to oranges. If you're technical, then get something like a CSSLP. If you like management, CISSP and CAP are great. 

"Best" depends on your personal needs.

Until_then
Contributor I

I just want to add also that if you're starting and want to get into cybersecurity, you should get your Sec+ to start things off. You can then build off of that because Sec+ is like an overview of just about everything cybersec related.

I'm kinda new to this field too. After attaining my Sec+, I got my CAP because I enjoy RMF and the admin/management side of cybersecurity.

csjohnng
Community Champion

Depending on your background and career aspiration.

it's difficult to suggest if we don't know what are you looking at.

John
AndreaMoore
Community Manager

Here was an article that was posted recently on the topic of people getting into the industry ("pursuers"):

Cybersecurity professionals to newcomers: Focus on vendor-neutral certifications

https://www.securitymagazine.com/blogs/14-security-blog/post/95676-cybersecurity-professionals-to-ne... 

ISC2 Community Manager
bmuzhanje
Newcomer I

Its a two sided coin.

Either you go very technical (OSCP is a good one)  or the managerial route (CISSP/CISM).

steven897
Newcomer I

Thanks for replying, I have one site that is recommended from my college end, can you please have a look at it?

RRoach
Contributor I

Noticed post. When pursuing a certification it makes sense to pick a certification based on your current experience or slightly above that will help move into the next position. Don't focus on vendor/vendor neutral. 

Example 1: You work for a company and use XYZ technology/software. Your company  has a contract for technology/software licensing/support. In some cases it includes access to the product training/certification program.

Example 2: You work for a company and "sell" XYZ technology/software. Your company most likely has access to the training/certification program in order for support staff to maintain "certified/approved" vendor status (e.g. CISCO, checkpoint, Microsoft).

Example 3: You work for a company doing desktop/helpdesk support. After a few years of experience you pursue vendor neutral certification (e.g. A+, Sec+) in addition to completing online (cyber courses) to help get into the next position.

Example 4: You are in school or military and have limited IT experience and pursue vendor neutral certification (e.g. A+, Sec+) in addition to completing online (cyber courses) to help get into an entry level position.

Example 5:  You work for a company doing various IT/Security tasks functions.  After 5 years of experience you think you understand a lot of topics and decide to pursue vendor neutral certification (e.g. CISSP)