cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kcf9889
Newcomer II

Just Starting Out/Entry-Level Opportunity

Hello! 

I am very new to the information security field. I'm still in school, and scheduled to graduate in December of 2018. However, I don't want to wait that long to get started in the field. Does anyone have any advice on a good entry-level position for a person just starting out in the field? Thank you!

12 Replies
TMoore8404
Viewer

Just a couple of simple ideas or thoughts, try internships, some are paid, search out local job fairs related to your field, or anything in IT will eventually get you experience.  I am still in school, but between full time work and a family, I am not able to do an internship (not enough time in the day).  Best of luck to you.

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

Hi there,

Well now... the information security field is very broad and recently started undergoing rapid expansion and inflation, form a very small intial point. Bits of it may or may not have been in contact with other bits, and while it might look smooth it's actually very lumpy as you move in closer...

Before starting it really does help to start by basing yourself in a role where you do the same things that people do, and learn about the people so that you know how they are done why you want to protect them.

As for roles that are not security focused but good fits  - Operations/Data centers are good starts, development(Agile/DevOps recommend - platform(s) are up to you) is also good, Network engineer is also good, Desktop support/Service desk is also fine place cut you teeth.

If you have the technical chops and wanted to 'hot house' then starting off in a SOC as a analyst sounds like your dream ticket, but web application testing might work of you as well. Starting work as a developer for a security vendor would also I think be a good move. A lot of these would depend on how mobile you are.

Best of Luck,

Michael

kcf9889
Newcomer II

Thank you I appreciate your help!
kcf9889
Newcomer II

Thank you for your help! I appreciate it very much!
Radioteacher
Community Champion

For those that have time, mentoring a CyberPatriot team is a nice feather on a resume.  

It is directly related to computer security and the other shows your ability to volunteer your time to support the community.  

It is late in the season, but I am positive that schools in your area need help.  

www.uscyberpatriot.org 

Paul

JoePete
Advocate I

@kcf9889 wrote:

I am very new to the information security field. I'm still in school, and scheduled to graduate in December of 2018. However, I don't want to wait that long to get started in the field. Does anyone have any advice on a good entry-level position for a person just starting out in the field? 

As others have mentioned, seek out volunteer opportunities. There are a ton of groups out there that could use some guidance, even just a few hours a month. Pick some group and volunteer to do a security assessment or just give a presentation (e.g. Safe and Secure Online) about security awareness. As much even something like running through a PowerPoint might not seem like security, it gets you in front of people, talking to them, advocating certain things. That's a lot more of the job than you might think, and it is just good professional experience. Plus a prospective employer wants to see you are willing to work.

vickielynn
Newcomer I

I recommend working as an Analyst in a SOC. It’s a great way to get security experience and a thorough understanding of the fundamentals which will help you determine which direction to take your career.  

kcf9889
Newcomer II

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my inquiry.

Please forgive me for not knowing, but what exactly is a SOC?

A couple of different things are coming up on Google hence why I ask.

Thanks! 

vickielynn
Newcomer I

An information security operations center ("SOC") is a facility where enterprise information systems (web sites, applications, databases, datacenters and servers, networks, desktops and other endpoints) are monitored, assessed, and defended.

The SOC at my work is staffed 24x7 and they are our first line of cyber-defense. They are exposed to most of the Security tools and gain a solid understanding of security practices. Its a great place to get started in the Security field and learn the ropes.