Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iontomorrow
Viewer

Is a 4 year degreee still a requirement?

Hi everyone,

I have an Associates in CIS, several certifications and 10 years of experience as a sysadmin/engineer. Security has always been something I have been involved with but never a direct focus.

I am considering whether going back to complete a 4 year degree has any merit. It feels that unless I start working at a tech company, jobs like I am used to are drying up in favor of outsourcing, contracting, and IaaS, cloud, etc.

So I am considering the options of remaining technically hands-on and digging into security or going the IT management route.

How does anyone out there that may be a hiring manager feel about candidates with or without 4 year degrees? Do they still hold relevancy?
80 Replies
billclancy
Contributor I

I'm not a hiring manager, but I often run teams of 4-8 people. I'd much rather hire someone who is a good fit on my team, who has a reputation for working hard, and learning fast. Certs are good, I'm not so big on technical degrees. I only have a 2 year degree myself, I seem to have no difficulty getting a job with a nice salary, and reasonable hours.