cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Interesting conversation on Peerlyst: Inconvenient truths about Cybersecurity

Hi All

There is an interesting conversation going on the Peerlyst forum, if any one is interested?

What are your views?  Do you agree?  Disagree?

https://www.peerlyst.com/posts/inconvenient-truths-about-working-in-cybersecurity-nathan-chung-cissp...

Regards

Caute_cautim

2 Replies
mgorman
Contributor II

I wrote a long response on Peerlyst on that article, and had some technical difficulties that prevented me from posting it.  My thoughts are Wah, wah, wah...  in that order.  While it is true that cybersecurity/infosec is very demanding, and that you have to do more with less, and you have to be your own advocate for training, and the other points in that article, that doesn't set it apart from other professions.  I spent 20 years in network engineering building more with less, advocating for my own training and my employees' when I was a manager.  Demands were higher and higher for performance every year.  I had more than a shoestring budget, but we still had to work very hard to make the most of every dollar.  IT departments in a lot of places hate having to deal with security.  Why?  Because they are in the same situation as security is.  They are already overworked and underfunded, and they see it as one more thing they have to do.  In the end, we have to understand that it doesn't matter what you do as a profession or job.  They are all hard in their own way, and the best way to move forward is to find the professionals adjacent to you, and see how you can make their life easier.  That will reduce friction, and make everybody more productive and happier in the end.  If they don't want to return the favor, find someplace with a better culture.

</SOAPBOX>

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@mgormanObviously, they are not reading the world around them, as automation, Augmented Intelligence becomes widely available and a lot of mundane tasks will be removed and their jobs will morph into more interesting challenging ones.    We have a lot more to consider, than listening to old housewife's tales of woe, and concern.   We need to be on top of our game, every day, providing advice and consideration.

To me, I welcome the future, where your searches can be quickly executed and information more readily made available and lessons learnt within organisations will not be lost due the 40 year life time engineer's knowledge disappears out the door, because no one bothered to ask, what they really did for the organisation.

Regards

Caute_cautim