Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrbrooks33
Newcomer I

Independent Cyber Security Consultant

I have over 20 yrs of Information Security experience within all domains primarily in the network security, Security and Risk Management, Software Development Security, Security Operation and Security Engineering. As a CISSP, I really feel the time is right to become independent cyber security consultant? Does anyone have words of suggestion on how to get started and places to look to secure my 1st contract.

5 Replies
mrbrooks33
Newcomer I
Baechle
Advocate I

Brian,

My first word of advise is get your back office/business office details in order.

For a period of my life, I was a partner in a consulting business.  When I entered the arrangement the other partner suggested that he would take on all of the business/finance work while I would take on the sales work.  He was knowledgeable in the laws and regulations, even in calculating tax rates and such, but he didn't actually put anything into practice.

When quarterly tax time came around, I had to scramble to unpack everything that had happened in the previous few months spending countless days doing office manager work instead of generating new sales and leads.  The lull in shifting focus practically killed the business.

So.  Get your back office/business office set up first.  Make sure you have the bank accounts, the financial information system, possibly even a co-employer arrangement so you don't have to worry about your own taxes and benefits.  Then turn to generating your sales leads.

Sincerely,

Eric B.

pgupta
Newcomer I

I have a few opportunities if you are available. They rates are good and the roles available are located in Washington DC. I can be reached at paras@guppar.com if you are interested and we can speak more about the opportunities.
mrbrooks33
Newcomer I

Thank you! I will be reaching out today
mrbrooks33
Newcomer I

Thank you for the wisdom! Much Appreciated it!