Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pillaiarun
Newcomer I

How motivate teams members for CPE requirements annually

Hi Any suggestion of how to keep my team motivated to maintain CPE requirements for ISC2. Many of us are falling back due to work schedules and our lazy attitude to keep up the CPE scores. Any recommendations or suggestions are well come Thanks & Regards, Arun Pillai
9 Replies
ro83
Newcomer III

Some ideas to motivate CPE related activities are:
* Provide a hour or two every week for CPE related activities
* Organize knowledge sharing sessions between team members where everyone can give brief overview about his/her CPE related activities
* Combine work related tasks with CPE possibilities
* Appreciate team members who collect CPE-s from their spear time
* Provide CPE related conferences for team members
* Show an example
* Handle it as KPI
* Introduce different CPE possibilities to the team members
* Buy magazines and books according to team members interests
* Appreciate positive impact to daily work from CPE related activities

rslade
Influencer II

> Pillaiarun (Newcomer I) posted a new topic in Career on 12-20-2018 04:33 PM in

> Hi Any suggestion of how to keep my team motivated to maintain CPE requirements
> for ISC2. Many of us are falling back due to work schedules and our lazy
> attitude to keep up the CPE scores. Any recommendations or suggestions are well
> come

Well, you could appeal to altruism.  You can tell them that they are the front line
in the battle against chaos, and need to learn all they can about how to keep info
systems safe and secure.

If that doesn't work, you can appeal to blatant self-interest, and note that if they
don't get CPEs they'll lose certification and get fire

(This seems to be on ongoing battle for some people.  Hoestly, it is easier than
ever, with free "courses" from ISC2, Webinars, and all kinds of vendor
presentations.  So far this year I'm standing at about 350 credits, and I don't think
I've paid a cent for any of it.)

Other posts: https://community.isc2.org/t5/forums/recentpostspage/user-id/1324864413

This message may or may not be governed by the terms of
http://www.noticebored.com/html/cisspforumfaq.html#Friday or
https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468
sergeling
Contributor I

For me, my boss just asked "if you don't maintain your CPE, that means you will have to sit in a room for hours and retake the exam again to make it current right?"

That's enough motivation for me.

SamanthaO_isc2
ISC2 Former Staff

I thought I would throw a suggestion into the ring - 

Playing off of @ro83's suggestion of setting aside an hour or so that are dedicated to earning CPE's - you could "host" a Webinar Wednesday - book an hour or so for all of your colleagues to get together. You could even make it a lunch - either everyone brings their own, a potluck, or trade off responsibilities of getting lunch for all. 

As mentioned here previously, there are plenty of ways to earn your CPEs and many free choices as well. Good luck with convincing your colleagues! 

Samantha O'Connor
(ISC)² Online Community Manager
denbesten
Community Champion

@SamanthaO_isc2 wrote:

...setting aside an hour or so that are dedicated to earning CPE's - you could "host" a Webinar Wednesday... 

We do that in my office.  When somebody finds an interesting webinar, we schedule a room for an hour, invite the "team" as an optional meeting.  Whoever shows up is then included in an email to the attendees that evidences their attendance and has enough of an abstract to pass any audits that may arise.

Completely informal, but I am able to earn maybe half my CPEs that way.

The part I appreciate the most is that after the webinar ends, we tend to hang around and discuss what we learned, how we can apply it to our company and sometimes just shooting the breeze.

CraginS
Defender I

Instead of focusing on annual CPE count, take a cue from (ISC)2 and do away with the annual part. Simply remind certified employees they have three years to accumulate the required number. For positions that REALLY require the certification, such as those filling U.S. DoD 8140/8570 contractor positions, make and enforce* a policy that certified employees who lose their certification due to insufficient CPE at the three-year renewal point have three months to re-certify by taking the exam again. Failure to pass the exam within that period will result in termination for cause.

I find the phrasing "due to work schedules and our lazy attitude" laughable. Given that it is possible to maintain CPE using one hour each week for webinars and podcasts, the "due to work schedules" is totally bogus. That leaves us with lazy and inattentive as the root cause. The many ideas in this thread to offer ideas, opportunities, and reminders to the supposedly "professional" workforce  are great, and worth pursuing. That internal reminder campaign will eliminate the "I forgot I needed to" (inattentive) excuse. 

Finally, review the positions that are identified as requiring a certification, and be sure it really is a true job requirement. If it is good to have and not a must have position requirement, stop bothering folks, but consider a pay boost for those who maintain the certification (reward instead of punishment).

* When you release an employee for failure to remain certified, do not move that employee to a non-certification position; actually terminate. And let it be known across the workforce, without naming the former employee. Word will get out and others will refocus their efforts. 

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
denbesten
Community Champion

Public executions are something you want to first discuss with your HR department and perhaps your lawyer.  The difficulty is that an employer must be absolutely consistent in its implementation.  If you don't enforce it on your star performer, but use it as the cause for termination on a mediocre performer, you find yourself at the risk of an unlawful termination suit. Most likely, the claimant will allege their differing race, gender, age, orientation, nationality, etc. as the critical distinction.   Especially difficult is the first time you terminate an employee for failure to maintain their certification because there will be plenty of prior counter-examples that can and will come back to haunt the legal defense. 

Much better is to work with HR to integrate a CPE check into the annual review process so that shortfall formally gets attention and that a proper historical record exists if an employment action becomes necessary,

And, as others have said (including us), even better is to utilize motivational/reminder activities to keep people out of the CPE trap in the first place.

dreastans
Newcomer III

Exactly this- don’t maintain CPEs and get to sit for the exam again.

---
Andrea Stansbury- CISSP
Shannon
Community Champion

@dreastans wrote:
Exactly this- don’t maintain CPEs and get to sit for the exam again.

That would be the best --- so long as they don't perceive it as blackmail...  Man LOL

Shannon D'Cruz,
CISM, CISSP

www.linkedin.com/in/shannondcruz