Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shilpa
Newcomer II

Do I need additional certifications after getting CISSP?

Hi All,
I recently received my CISSP certification. I am very happy and proud of it!
However, when I apply to jobs, the feedback I have received so far is, CISSP is nice to have but I need additional certifications.

e.g. Cloud certifications OR 
CCNA, Network+ OR
Various products and tools certifications

Do I need all those certifications as well? Without these keywords, my resume is not reaching the hiring managers. Has anyone else experienced this? Please advise. Thanks!

14 Replies
Shilpa
Newcomer II

Steve,

This is awesome! I love it!
It gives me a clear idea about the additional certifications and the security domains.
So, instead of random certifications, this leads me to a focused career path.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Shilpa

RRoach
Contributor I

Recommend getting additional certifications if you are actively working in a specific area of technology (e.g. Azure, Amazon, Cisco, MS, blue coat, etc.). However you might just be able to take some CBTs with some experience to get by and later on pursue another certification.  As an example I am looking at CISM and PMP to compliment experience and maybe even TCM pentest cert.

Shilpa
Newcomer II

Thank you for your recommendation. The cost of getting different certifications is very high. Exam fees, study material are all very expensive. It looks like going back to software development is a better path for me.

minnaked
Viewer III

May I know did you manage to get a security job which you preferred. I did the same thing 14yrs experience in Protocol testing, break to get a master degree, worked hard to get into security domain, last year completed cissp, still trying to figure out how can I maximize my technical and security domain knowledge to get an cross entry into security domain without compromising my exp and salary to run my family.
Shilpa
Newcomer II

@minnaked

Sorry for the late reply. I am very happy to say that I did find a suitable position with an amazing organization. They were specifically looking for someone with software experience and CISSP.

For the longest time I kept applying everywhere without any expectations. I hardly heard back from anyone. Then all of a sudden I started getting interviews. Believe it or not, ultimately I had three offers.

If I can get into this field, anyone can. There is so much demand. Looking back, it was not about what I knew or not, but more of a funding cycle issue. 

Just hang in there. Everything will work out fine. All the best!

-Shilpa