Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndreaMoore
Community Manager

Cybersecurity Mentorship: Connect With Mentors & Mentees

Looking to connect with others and become a mentor or mentee to another cybersecurity professional?

Comment here to connect with others on this platform with your area of expertise and if you are a mentee looking for a mentor to help you grow your career or you are offering your time to help mentor others. 

Learn more about mentorship from our three-part blog series: 

1. #CYBERSECURITYAWARENESSMONTH MENTORSHIP INTERVIEW SERIES: PART 1 – MENTORS

2. #CYBERSECURITYAWARENESSMONTH MENTORSHIP INTERVIEW SERIES: PART 2 – MENTEES

3. #CYBERSECURITYAWARENESSMONTH MENTORSHIP INTERVIEW SERIES: PART 3 – REVERSE MENTORSHIP

ISC2 Community Manager
20 Replies
mtwining86
Newcomer I

Thank you Andrea for this post. I am making a career switch from developing business process solutions to now cybersecurity and it feels great! I just completed my CC certification so I am now an official member. I do lack some specific IT experience and have an associates degree in a non-computer related field, but I can do anything I want and put energy in.

I love what I’ve learned so far, however I am in need of mentors. I classify as a mentee, which I feel like needs its own avatar (haha).

I’ve already taken what I’ve learn, coupled some DHS cybersecurity training and implemented some key concepts in our projects where we are searching for a vendor software/cloud solution for a global manufacturer. They love the bells and whistles and I am the guy asking the questions related to what happens if there is a breach of of something is broken, impact to the business, etc.. I am clearly passionate in the field and know I will be a success once I’ve achieved some experience to get started in this being my daily routine work!
wbathome
Viewer

Hi Andrea,

I'm probably interested in either role, since I enjoy talking with others, either professionally or just in my local community.

I've worked in IT and Security for 12+ years, but mostly for mid-sized firms, mainly in Healthcare and Manufacturing. I just received my official CISSP certification confirmation email today, but I'm always trying to learn from those around me, regardless of age and work experience background.

While I'm searching for my next role (or even after I start working FT), I'd be happy to either provide feedback to others, or to just share notes w/ anyone else in transition.

Thx,

Won

ITSEC
Viewer

Hi Andrea

I’ve been working in technology for 18 years and recently passed the CCSP exam (presently awaiting experience verification).

During the past 18 years, my career has spanned from technician to Service Delivery Manager, including being on an executive committee in a recent role. Whilst the idea of technology security isn’t foreign to me, the ISC2 certification process & community connections are.

I’m presently working for a managed IT services provider who are considering embarking on bringing a cyber security offering to the market in Australia.

I’m considering mentee-ship - with the aim to help drive these outcomes for our small business whilst enabling my experiences to market me for that next chapter of my career.
AndersonT
Viewer II

I´m student in cybersecurity professional nowadays living in Finland, but I was working like psychologist along 10 years in different areas of Psychology in Brazil. A punctual, social, friendly and responsible person, ready for new challenges in the field of working life. I´m looking for a mentor to help me grow my career at time of afternoon/night.

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/anderson-teixeira-a32a6a22b

saqibja
Newcomer I

Thank you Andrea! This is a great initiative for both mentors and mentees. I'm a firm believer that in a mentor/mentee relationship both benefit from each other.

I have over 20 years of experience working with Java Card (smart cards with Java on them) which provide critical security features required in our telecommunication networks, smart passports, smart ID cards, smart payment cards etc.

I'm currently the product owner for a nano form-factor HSM called YubiHSM from Yubico. This HSM is the smallest in the world with tremendous capabilities to secure network communications, perform code signing, act as a CA in a public key infrastructure and also provide security on the edge for IoT. Anyone interested in learning about these technologies is welcome to contact me.
AndreaMoore
Community Manager

@saqibja @AndersonT @ITSEC @wbathome @mtwining86

We have mentorship programs set up through some of our chapters. I'm going to pass along your information to our chapter team and they will reach out to you for next steps in becoming more involved in a mentorship program. 

Thanks!

ISC2 Community Manager
mtwining86
Newcomer I

Thank you Andrea!

saqibja
Newcomer I

Thank you!

clintkaufmann
Viewer

Hi Friends. After a 30-year career in math education, I am transitioning to cybersecurity. I have Security+, Associate of (ISC)2, and GSEC certs, but breaking in without experience has been challenging. Translation: I've faced a lot of rejection. My friends at (ISC)2 Alamo have helped me hone my resume and introduced me to people. I'm applying, interviewing, and continuing along a steep learning curve.

I'd really appreciate a mentor. Having built a career before, I'm enjoying the accelerated learning curve. I could use help though. 🙂

Clint Kaufmann
https://www.linkedin.com/in/clint-kaufmann
clintkaufmann@hotmail.com
504-228-4489