Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
geraldjoyce312
Newcomer I

Cloud Security Career Advice

From 1997-2016 I was a network/network security engineer at large, multinational companies. I enjoyed the intellectual challenge. As part of that job, I worked on design projects and regularly peer reviewed architect designs to ensure they met security standards. In 2016, I decided to make the move into third party risk. One of my major drivers was to put the off hours work of a support role behind me. For the past two years, I have been learning a great deal about cloud (AWS specifically) and passed the CCSP exam. 

I would like to transition into a cloud security role (I live in Chicago), but am having difficulties finding the right position. There seem to be only two types: Cloud Engineer (support role) or Cloud Architect.

Having spent many years in a support role, I would like to work in something that does not require support duties. Additionally, I don't feel that I could try and pass myself off as a Cloud Architect yet in good conscience. I have been trying to find a position that leads to an architect role where I could be involved in the design process, but not doing support.

Does anyone have any thoughts on types of roles, job titles, strategies I could follow up on to make this move?

(CISSP, CCSP, Linux, Python, extensive networking/security networking background)

Thanks.

5 Replies
RRoach
Contributor I

Most of what I have seen are sysadmin and developer type roles. But with the networking background maybe something like cloud integration might work. So maybe look for companies moving to the cloud who will need help with the transition. I would also look into different certification tracks and training to see if there is any interest and even non cloud roles where your background could come in handy.  

geraldjoyce312
Newcomer I

Thanks for the advice. I will investigate the cloud integration track.
AppDefects
Community Champion

You mentioned that you transitioned into third-party risk. Have you considered opportunities centered around cloud operational risk? Perhaps as a cloud auditor?

geraldjoyce312
Newcomer I

Thanks. I know some python, but would not consider that a development
background. My cloud security experience in the past has been vetting
architectural designs to ensure that they were compliant with internal
standards. By architecture I mean cloud services used and the controls that
are implemented on or between the services. Along with the CCSP, I am
certified in the AWS Security Specialty. It would be great to use that
knowledge.
geraldjoyce312
Newcomer I

Thanks for the reply. I have, but I have found that the level of technical