Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emilyparker
Newcomer I

Certified in Cyber Security.

I recently received the Certified in Cybersecurity certification and was wondering what types of jobs this qualified me for. Thanks in advance

5 Replies
AntiEvil
Newcomer II

It is an entry level certification.  If you do not have a few years of experience already in cybersecurity, consider jobs such as Help Desk or an entry level data analyst role.  This will continue to expose you to cybersecurity and information technology concepts.  Perhaps you can find an junior level GRC analyst or vulnerability management position.  There are many roles available to you, however, it is unlikely you will be able to obtain a senior level role with just this certification.

A lot of getting hired into a cybersecurity role depends on three things:  experience (most important), education, and certifications.  How many years of cybersecurity experience do you have on your resume?  If not many...how does your education look?  Do you have a Bachelors or Masters degree in information technology or cybersecurity?  If not...how many certifications do you have?  Which ones do you have?

There are many considerations that an employer will look for in filling a cybersecurity role.  Your personal combination of those factors will set you apart from the others seeking the same role.  If you're still relatively new to the space, consider getting as many security-related certifications as you can.  There are many entry and mid-level certifications out there.  Eventually you will get a job in cybersecurity if you just keep chipping away at getting more knowledge. 

randombitsbytes
Viewer II

Entry-level positions within Risk & Compliance departments could be possible

emilyparker
Newcomer I

I only recently started the cybersecurity route. I'm currently in a cybersecurity Bootcamp and I complete that in march. I'm working toward my security+ certification. But I appreciate your input and will look into the GRC analyst role because that seems interesting. The only certification I have is certified in cybersecurity but I'm hoping to have 3 or 4 more through the continuing education on this website. 

emilyparker
Newcomer I

Thank you! I will look into it 

Beads
Advocate I

Emily;

Instead of hoping a few random certs will land you a job or position, I would sincerely suggest watching job boards like Indeed, Dice and ZipRecruiter to learn what skills and certs (if any) employers are actually looking for and of course, are not.

I suspect you will be shocked at what hiring managers are really looking for in new candidates.

Now, back to sifting through an endless stream of junk resumes. 😉

- B/Eads