Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheMan
Viewer

Renewing Security+

Could I submit a "Online webinars, podcasts and other online materials" CPE and upload my recently renewed Security+ certification as documation?  So basically, what I'm asking is do I get any CPE's for renewing my Security+ certification?  If so, how many?

2 Replies
denbesten
Community Champion

"CPE" is Continuing Professional Education.   In other words, "learning something".   

You can take CPE credit for the hours you spent studying to earn another certification (to the extent it is "related" to the domains of your CISSP, and capped at 40).  And bonus, that time counts even if you don't end up taking/passing the certification exam.

You can also "double dip".  If the CPE is related to both CISSP and Sec+, you can claim the CPE (CEU) with both organizations. 

BUT, taking tests and possessing other certifications is "demonstrating knowledge", not "learning something", so "renewing Sec+" is worth zero ISC2 CPEs.

emb021
Advocate I

@TheMan Adding to the great posting by @denbesten I would point out that I am not aware of ANY certification organization that takes renewal of ANY certification for CPEs.

You stated you did "Online webinars, podcasts and other online materials".  You upload THOSE for your ISC2 cert.

I do the same for my certs from various orgs.  As noted, you can double dip (or triple etc) on your CPE activities.  DON'T make the mistake of assuming you need to do totally unique activities for all your certs, even from the same org.

---
Michael Brown, CISSP, HCISPP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, GSLC, GSTRT, GLEG, GSNA, CIST, CIGE, ISSA Fellow