Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
madneal
Viewer II

For the CPE of magazines

As illustrated in the CPE handbook:

madneal_0-1651125990083.png

ISC2 InfoSecurity Professional Magazine - 2CPE credits per issue with passed quiz

Then in the education part:

madneal_1-1651126081922.png

There is 5 CPE creadit per manazine issue with 250-word description. I am wondering if there is any conflict between the 2 opportunities. Can I obtain CPE both from the quiz of the InfoSecurity Preoffessional Magazine and magazine issue with 250-word descirption, which is 7 in total.

Is there any problem for my understanding? Thanks for your reply

5 Replies
denbesten
Community Champion

I would have ethical issues claiming the same credit twice on the same certification.  Also, keep in mind that the "5 CPEs" on page 14 is the "maximum" you are entitled to claim.  To earn 5 CPEs, you would need to spend 5 hours reading the magazine.

However, your observation does raise an interesting question.  If I were to read ISP could I earn up-to 5 credits by writing a 250 word summary instead of taking the quiz for 2 credits?

@AndreaMoore, this might be worth forwarding on to the CPE people for an official response.

Clay498
Newcomer II

@madneal wrote:  Thirty One Today Login

As illustrated in the CPE handbook:

madneal_0-1651125990083.png

ISC2 InfoSecurity Professional Magazine - 2CPE credits per issue with passed quiz

Then in the education part:

madneal_1-1651126081922.png

There is 5 CPE creadit per manazine issue with 250-word description. I am wondering if there is any conflict between the 2 opportunities. Can I obtain CPE both from the quiz of the InfoSecurity Preoffessional Magazine and magazine issue with 250-word descirption, which is 7 in total.

Is there any problem for my understanding? Thanks for your reply

Associates of (ISC)2 are on annual cycles and are required to earn and submit Group A CPE credits each year. If you hold a CISSP concentration, 20 CPE credits of the total number of Group A CPE credits required in the CISSP three-year cycle must be directly related to your concentration.

madneal
Viewer II

Tough 5 CPE maximum, but they are different things. One if finish the reading of the magazine, the other one is finishing the quiz. Is it a same thing?
denbesten
Community Champion

I'm guessing you are new to the whole CPE thing. When starting out, the 120 hour/CPE thing can be pretty overwhelming.  I know it was for me.  Having been through it for a number of years now, I can tell you that it is much easier to accomplish than it seems. Simply watching one 1-hour webinar per week will keep you ahead of schedule.  So, throw a meeting on your calendar for Friday afternoon. In the pre-covid days, I did this with a few colleagues and afterwards discussed how it applied to work -- which kept the bosses happy about us earning CPEs on company time.

The overall thing to keep in mind is that the "E" in CPE stands for Education.  The only way to earn a CPE is to "learn" something.  And the metric (ISC)² uses is that 1 hour of educational effort equals 1 CPE earned.  They have also decided that for reasons of standardization, reading ISP magazine takes about 2 hours and therefore is definitionally worth 2 CPEs.

Taking a test/quiz/exam does not teach you anything and therefore is never (ever) worth any CPEs.  To understand why the quiz is important, you need to think like an auditor.  They want some evidence you read the magazine.   The quiz results provide this evidence.  Writing a short summary of "what you learned" also creates evidence.  By doing both, you really are just creating two pieces of evidence for the same CPE-eligible activity.

wendler845966
Viewer II

CPE credits earned through the above methods will only be awarded to (ISC)2 members -- if you are not currently affiliated with (ISC)2. 

After receiving your (ISC)2 member number (or if you already have one), simply follow the directions on how to complete your CPE credit application as determined by each way to earn CPE credits.

Walgreenslistens