cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BabaG
Viewer III

Endorsing Vendor-specific Certifications for CPEs

Dear Members,

I am  battling with  how to endorsing  or  translating  vendor-specific certifications into earning CPEs.

I have 3 AWS certifications  (Practitioner, Solution Architect and Security Specialty)

Are these endorsable  by ISC2? and  if yes , how should  I work out the CPEs and are these certifications  time bound? and if not, how should I go about translating them into CPEs? or  just forget about them and concentrate on  earning normal CPEs paths ?

I am sure working out the time spent  on each one of certifications  may be impractical(involving trainings, readings and lab exercises)

Any advice or suggestions please!!

7 Replies
CraginS
Defender I

@BabaG wrote:

Dear Members,

I am  battling with  how to endorsing  or  translating  vendor-specific certifications into earning CPEs.

I have 3 AWS certifications  (Practitioner, Solution Architect and Security Specialty)

Are these endorsable  by ISC2? and  if yes , how should  I work out the CPEs and are these certifications  time bound? and if not, how should I go about translating them into CPEs? or  just forget about them and concentrate on  earning normal CPEs paths ?

I am sure working out the time spent  on each one of certifications  may be impractical(involving trainings, readings and lab exercises)

Any advice or suggestions please!!

Babajide,

Getting a certification does not count for any CPEs. However, studying for a certification exam does. So, if you took formal classes for your AWS certs, log CPEs for the time you were in class. That includes online study resources like videos, webinars, and podcasts. If you studied on your own for the exams, log CPE for a reasonable amount of focused study time for each. Time spent actually taking the exams also does not count for CPEs. If you had to study a particular book or books, an alternative way to claim CPEs s to log book read, writing a short report on the book, as described in the CPE manual.

Congrats on the AWS work. That is great.

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
BabaG
Viewer III

Hello Craig,
Thanks for the insight on this, much appreciated!!
Regards
Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

You can claim for your study time and even claim group B CPEs for studying something else that doesn't fall under the CBK domains.  

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS
sergeling
Contributor I

It's already answered by others. I just want to mention that you can always double check the CPE handbook which is link below:
https://www.isc2.org/cpe-handbook

Shawns
Viewer II

Earn and report an annual minimum of twenty (20) CPE hours. These hours must be appropriate to the currency or advancement of the CDPSE’s knowledge or ability to perform CDPSE-related tasks. The use of these hours towards meeting the CPE requirements for multiple ISACA certifications is permissible when the professional activity is applicable to satisfying the job-related knowledge of each certification.

Brackend
Viewer

Just passed AWS security speciality.  Estimating 15 points for this but really not sure.  Shouldn't there be standard points for a specific course or at least a method that should result in same number of points for same course for everyone?

for example, AWS security speciality must be a common course for ISC2 members.

denbesten
Community Champion

There is a standard method.... the number of hours of effort you put forth within a few limits and conditions as spelled out in the handbook.  The raw number is not the same because not everyone needs to devote the same amount of time studying.