Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jumiller
Newcomer I

CPEs - Lab Build At Home

Hello, I am new to being an (ISC)2 member and I recently created an at home lab that covers a wide range of domains that are in the certification I am working towards earning as an associate. I have documented the build, and I would like to share it freely for those interested in following the same path (Helping them to run into many of the issues I did to get hands on experience / troubleshooting experience too!). I am wondering if this hands-on-lab / at home lab build would help me gain any CPE credits. I have learned quite a bit developing my personal lab network that I just couldn't get from classroom training and reading the CBK.

I am pretty sure this would fall under continuing education some how, but the CPE's are kind of vague to me whether or not this would fall under anything and I don't think it is explicitly listed. Regardless if it earns any CPE's, I think it would still be very educational for the community (It has been for myself).

3 Replies
Baechle
Advocate I

Justin,

That's a heavy duty undertaking!  

First, I hope the moderators get a hold of this question.  It probably should've been posted over in the "Ask (ISC)^2" forum to get their attention quicker.

I believe, based on my reading of the CPE guidance that if you create a learning guide (a short publication) and make that available to the community, then you can earn CPE for the publication depending on the size of the final document.  See CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION (CPE) POLICIES & GUIDELINES 2015 at 11-2 (2015) https://www.isc2.org/-/media/ISC2/Documents/cpe_guidelines.ashx?la=en&hash=6E6AFC2AADC9C940B3897A4DB....

Also, you could consider what you have done in building the prototype learning lab to be the research you required to do in preparing your publication.  This would be submitted under CPE for Self-Study.  See Id. at 12,

Part of the CPE process is using your judgement in what you submit.  You obviously built this learning lab on your own time for the benefit of self-paced learning; but if you had been building it as an assignment for work then it wouldn't count as preparatory research for your publication.  So, it's easy for the same amount of work to both qualify and not qualify depending on the context.

jumiller
Newcomer I

Thank you Baechle, my apologies if this is in the incorrect forum.

This really helped me to better understand the judgement call that I need to make when submitting CPE's. I really appreciate the feedback outlined above.
amandavanceISC2

@jumiller Thank you for your inquiry and great job on your at home lab! You may submit 1 CPE per hour of research you completed in developing your lab with a maximum submission of 40 CPEs. Please submit the CPEs under the 'Education' tab and then "Online webinars, podcasts and other online training materials". 

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to send me a DM. 

Best Regards,

Amanda Vance

avance@isc2.org