Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iscali
Viewer

CPE's for Mentoring in Security?

Does anyone know if you are mentoring folks in CyberSecurity if you can claim those as CPE's? If so what category do you claim them under in the tool? All I see is preparation for training or panels.

3 Replies
denbesten
Community Champion

Think of it this way,  If you are continuing your own education, you get the CPEs.  If you are continuing somebody else's education, they get the CPEs.  That said, there may be some opportunities if you need to research and sharpen up your own knowledge so you can teach it to somebody else.

tmekelburg1
Community Champion

@denbesten I had the exact same thought and almost said the same thing. But then there are exceptions to this rule. For example, they will give you CPE's for their Garfield cyber safety program. It seems like if there was a clear outline of content and time it could count. I also found this within the website that mentions mentoring. Does the mentoring have to take place at an official chapter meeting or can it happen while sitting at your local coffee shop with your mentee? I think member support should help clarify but they might have already in another thread. This should definitely be in the FAQ though.

tmekelburg1_0-1620997006128.png

Edit: Found this in the CPE Handbook: CPE---Handbook.ashx (isc2.org)

Group A and Group B CPE Credits
Group A Credits: Domain-Related Activities
Group A credits relate directly to activities in the areas covered by the specific domains of the
respective credential.
Some examples are shown below:
• Taking an online self-paced, blended or instructor-led educational course
• Reading a magazine, book or whitepaper
• Publishing a book, whitepaper or article
• Attending a conference (in-person or virtual), educational course, seminar or presentation
• Preparing for a presentation or teaching information related to information security.
This does not apply to (ISC)2 Official Training Courses.
• Performing a unique work-related project that is not a part of your normal work duties
• Self-study related to research for a project or preparing for a certification examination
• Volunteering for government, public sector, and other charitable organizations
• Taking a higher education course

denbesten
Community Champion

At least to me, that bullet point is grammatically unclear.  I don't get if it is trying to say "(Preparing for a presentation) or (teaching information related...)" or  "Preparing for (a presentation or teaching information) related ...."  The former is less grammatically awkward, but is also a run-on sentence that does align with page 15. 

Overall, the entire handbook really does read as having been written by a subject matter expert, rather than a technical author.

I would love it if the authors were to participate in the community in part to answer questions such as these, but more so to garner inspiration for future revisions.

@tmekelburg1