Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
S3cur1tyExprt
Newcomer II

CPE Submission

How do you submit other technical ceritifications?  From reading I understand that you can claim up to 30 CPE credits for other certs...

"Members may submit up to 30 CPEs under the self-study category for the time spent preparing to obtain a new certification. If the certificate is domain related, you would submit as Group A, professional development would be Group B. If you also took a training course outside of your self-study, you can also submit CPEs for the course"

When I enter in my information under "Begin Date/End Date", would that be the time frame it took me to complete the self study, or the Date that I passed the certification exam?  Also how long does it take for CPEs entered to show up on your member dashboard?  Thanks

4 Replies
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

When you enter CPEs for studying, the examination actually has no bearing on them at all. Whether you pass, fail or even if you don't take the exam doesn't matter. It's the act of studying for the exam that you are claiming the CPEs for.

Therefore the start and end dates relate to the period you performed the study. With the end date being the key date - this must be within your 3-year cycle.

The CPE portal is a mess so follow the instructions in this post to submit your CPEs using known safe options: https://community.isc2.org/t5/Member-Support/CPE-not-getting-credited-automatically/m-p/21405#M4085

CPEs, especially those submitted with corroborating evidence, are often auto-approved and appear in the CPE portal and Active Transcript almost immediately. They can sometimes take a few hours to then show on the bar charts that feature on the dashboard.

However, I and at least one other person seem to have some submitted CPEs stuck in the system almost as though they have disappeared into the ether, so who knows when they or your CPEs will appear?

denbesten
Community Champion

@AlecTrevelyan wrote:

Therefore the start and end dates relate to the period you performed the study. With the end date being the key date - this must be within your 3-year cycle.

I believe both dates must fall within the 3-year cycle because CPEs must be earned during the cycle for which you are claiming credit.

AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

From the CPE Handbook:

https://www.isc2.org/-/media/ISC2/Certifications/CPE/CPE---Handbook-Digital-V2.ashx

"Calculating CPE Credits

If the CPE activity occurred over multiple days, the end date is used to determine eligibility for a particular certification cycle. For example, if the activity started 1 August 2017 and ended on 5 September 2017, the CPE can be applied to any cycle that was active on 5 September 2017."

denbesten
Community Champion

Interesting and surprising.  @AlecTrevelyan is correct.  The error in my understanding comes from misreading page 7 as "and".

Page 7: CPE Policies and Procedures:

All CPE activities must be completed or earned during the three years of each certification cycle and no later than the certification expiration date (the end of your certification cycle).